Running with scissors

16 Aug

I really wanted to go out to the lake today.  Halia has yet to experience a canoe ride — a travesty, in my opinion — and I always have fun visiting with our friends there.  But the day has dawned cloudy and windy and Michael deemed it a rotten day to go.

Slightly moody, I sat down to eat my breakfast in the living room, where Halia is playing happily with the explosion of toys.  After a few minutes, Jade sat down behind me on the couch.  Sweet, I think. She’s coming for a cuddle.

Then I hear an ominous sound.  Sn… sn… snip!

OMG, my daughter has just cut a chunk of hair off my head!

I snatch the scissors away and lecture her on using (sharp!) scissors on anything other than paper.  And without permission!

I am pissed.  But I also have  a strange urge to burst out laughing.  Her surprise and disappointment at not being able to “help” me is clear on her pouty face and I know she doesn’t understand why I don’t want her to cut my hair.  But laughing won’t reinforce the “don’t play with scissors” message, so I hold it in.

I still feel like laughing now.  But I haven’t actually checked out the damage to my hair yet.   Wish me luck!

7 Responses to “Running with scissors”

1. Megan August 16, 2009 at 8:57 am #

We are going to need photos.

Worst-case scenario: This is your opportunity to get a new hairstyle. 🙂

2. allmycke August 16, 2009 at 9:53 am #

How much damage???

3. Barbara August 16, 2009 at 10:06 am #

I agree with Megan – the good news is you might get a new ‘style’.

Your restraint (from laughter) was probably the best course for the moment. You might even look for an opportunity to talk with Jade again later. (Solidifying the learning….Honey, do you know why Mommy was angry with you this morning?)
    You probably thought of that already.

Final note: the title of your post is the same as the title of a really awful book that I wish was not available at our public library. If you get some odd search referrals in the near future, it might be because of that.

Oh, to canoe another day!

4. Kara August 16, 2009 at 9:12 pm #

mahahahahahahahha!! That is so fricken funny!! I don’t know how you didn’t crack up in front of her!

5. Cathy August 18, 2009 at 12:18 am #

Fawn – This is one of the funniest posts! I’m cracking up! You are such a great story teller! I was right there with ya. I really was thinking how sweet that Jade was coming in for a snuggle.

So funny! Hope your hair is okay!

6. MommyTime August 18, 2009 at 10:25 am #

Oh NO! I know how hard it can be not to laugh at them when they are doing something yo don’t want to reinforce. But, seriously, it’s a really good thing that you didn’t laugh this time. This lasts thing you need is repeated trims while you are napping or something! I hope it turns out not to be too bad. You’ll have to keep us posted.

7. myra36 August 18, 2009 at 1:54 pm #