Blame Caillou

10 Sep

Jade has always been fearless.  I have previously lamented her complete lack of shyness with strangers and disregard for obviously dangerous situations, such as approaching a 52-foot-high horse

Recently though, she’s started to be shy when meeting new people.  Although her way of asking for hugs from people she’d met two seconds ago was charming, I take this new reticence as a sign of developmental progress.  Hurray for recognizing that you don’t actually know everyone!

Tonight, fear took on a new meaning.  About an hour after Jade went to sleep, she woke up howling.  She was out of her bed when I went downstairs.  Then she told me that there were monsters in her room.

I was floored.  Monsters have never been an issue.  Monsters are friendly creatures on Sesame Street, or a nickname for Jade when she’s being silly.  Monsters have never been lurking in the closet waiting to get her.

Until tonight.

I guess this could be another developmental milestone.  But, even though she hasn’t watched him for months, I blame Caillou.

7 Responses to “Blame Caillou”

1. Meandering Michael September 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm #

Stupid Caillou. First is made her into a whiner (glad we’re over that), and now it’s made her paranoid.

2. Kara September 10, 2009 at 11:39 pm #

After everyone telling me Cailou turned their kids into whiners, I stopped playing them here for Hunter a couple weeks ago. We are back to Mighty Machines and Thomas.

Hunter has been having nightmares lately which make him no fun to deal with a 3am!!

3. Jamie September 11, 2009 at 2:17 am #

Derek did that too! We tried telling him it was Santas’ elves checking to see if he was asleep but he didn’t buy it. so then we tried to logically show him there were no monsters. That didn’t work either. Then we had a breakthrough : We have always had a night light in the hallway but we put a new “Monster Light” in his room. Just a little nightlight that keeps away monsters. Since then the monsters have kept away, apparently they don’t like the light!

4. Lindsay September 11, 2009 at 3:23 am #

I hate Caillou. Gavin just passed the monster stage. They all seem to find something to be scared of at night. I think it’s a conspiracy to ensure sleepless nights for parents everywhere.

5. opa September 11, 2009 at 8:04 am #

I can personally vouch for monsters pre-dating Caillou. Caillou was born in 98, and I was convinced as early as 1959 that there were monsters lurking in the basement of our house, which made tiptoeing to the toilet in the middle of the night past the cellar stairs a veritable gauntlet run.

Human kids were most likely designed by nature to sleep on community bear furs in a cave around a fire, in a tipi or in a igloo, not in a lonely dark room.

6. Tammy September 11, 2009 at 9:29 am #

I blame Caillou for many, many things. He was here for 2 episodes, and then I made a rule. “No Caillou”.

7. Lindsay September 12, 2009 at 12:17 pm #

Paige has been saying there are monsters in here room lately too, but seems to accept that ‘monsters are just something you see on tv – they aren’t real” and is happy with that. I, however, cannot blame it on Caillou, because she has never seen it…I think I will blame it on the fact that my husband lets her watch Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” video…..