Taking bets on the first snow

4 Oct

Michelle over at Scribbit is playing a game where readers can guess when the first snowfall of the season will happen in Anchorage.  Fun!

Here in Whitehorse, we’ve also got snow on the mountain tops.  Last Monday, I saw a few cars around town with snow on them, so somebody around here got some of the real stuff.  We even had a few flakes in my neighbourhood this past week, but nothing that stayed on the ground.

But!  That train is definitely coming.

So, in my ongoing quest for levity, I am happy to host the “When do you think we’ll get the first Whitehorse snowfall?” game.  I can’t offer a baby moose calf as a prize, but there will be a prize.  To be decided at my whim.  (Because you’ll play along even if I give away a box of Kleenex, right?  Right?  C’mon, it’s cold and flu season.)

I usually don’t expect the first snowfall until Halloween, but last year we got real stay-on-the-ground-snow at least two weeks earlier than that, so it really could be any day now.  (I just hope it isn’t tomorrow, or this contest won’t even get to see the light of day.)

Okay, so here’s how to play (with major head nods to Michelle, since I am totally copying and pasting her game here):

1. Pick a date, any date, from October 5th on.
  2. Leave me a comment with your day, making sure I have a way to reach you should you win. (That means no fake e-mail addresses!)
  3. I will update this post with a list of the days taken with the names of participants as they come in. If you have a blog I’ll link to it.
  4. Only one person per date (because I don’t have anywhere near as many readers as Michelle!). If your date gets filled up I’ll just move you to the next available day following.
  5. When it does officially snow with a measurable amount of white stuff in my front yard (that’s my measuring stick) I’ll give a shout out to whoever picked the winning day.

Sound like fun? What better way to start looking forward to the first snowfall?

• October 5: Dave
  • October 26: Kathleen
  • October 27:
  • October 28:
  • October 29:
  • October 30:
  • October 31:

UPDATE: THIS CONTEST IS CLOSED!  Damn, I knew I should have posted this sooner!  It appears that there is already about 1 cm of snow on my deck and front yard (which, sadly, means it’s a measurable amount).  I’m not so sure that it’s not going to stick around for at least the afternoon, Dave.  So I guess that means you win, although seeing as you were actually getting snowed on when you guessed, I won’t credit you with any psychic powers.  Next closest was MFA Mama, so it only seems fair that you both win… um… something.  I haven’t decided yet since last night, but I’ll let you know soon!

24 Responses to “Taking bets on the first snow”

1. Roger October 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

OK. My pick is October 16. It will probably be sooner, though.

2. Beanie October 4, 2009 at 11:07 pm #

October 11th! Because it’s Thanksgiving and I plan on being thankful for living in a place where it doesn’t usually snow until late December – and typically not much, at that. 😉 (Albeit I’ll probably be wrong, because what does a West Coast weenie know about snow?…)

3. Susan October 5, 2009 at 2:58 am #

October 18th!!!!!! 🙂

4. Nai-Nai October 5, 2009 at 3:29 am #

18th of Oct.

5. Nai-Nai October 5, 2009 at 3:30 am #

I changed the date, someone beat me for that. 17th Oct.

6. Kara October 5, 2009 at 5:08 am #

Oct 15th baby!

7. Tammy October 5, 2009 at 5:17 am #

I’ll pick October 19th. Even though the entire idea totally ruins my happy mood. In my opinion, snow should arrive December 1st, and leave January 3rd.

8. MFA Mama October 5, 2009 at 6:08 am #

October 9th!

9. Kathleen October 5, 2009 at 6:29 am #

I’ll be an optimist and pick the 26th please

10. Kathleen October 5, 2009 at 6:31 am #

i should have looked at the weather forecast first…looks like it might be today 🙂

• fawnahareo October 5, 2009 at 6:51 am #

Ah, but the measuring stick is my yard, and it has to stick to the ground enough for me to measure it, so… the game’s still on! (BTW, it’s 1.6 degrees at the mo’. Not that that makes a particular difference one way or the other…)

11. Dave Rogers October 5, 2009 at 8:08 am #

It’s snowing pretty steadily here in Copper Ridge this morning (Oct 5), and building up on the ground too. I imagine it’ll be gone by this afternoon though. At least I hope it will–I’ve got leaves to rake yet.

12. tanialeclerc October 5, 2009 at 8:22 am #

I’ll take the 20th! And keep my fingers crossed that’s long before we get ours here!

13. Stacie October 5, 2009 at 8:57 am #

Umm… today! 🙂

14. Opa October 5, 2009 at 9:29 am #

October 31….and if the first snow comes on November 5th, I would expect to closest runner-up to be the winner, yes?

15. allmycke October 5, 2009 at 9:34 am #

October 20th is my scientific guess!

16. Murray October 5, 2009 at 9:40 am #

October 5 – it’s been snowing for 3 hours and getting deeper by the minute.

17. Opa October 5, 2009 at 10:54 am #

Alright, kiddo, hold them horses. Before you declare winners, you may have to do some serious sleuthing yet. Let’s see – if there is one cm on your deck on October 5th I will readily concede defeat for myself, but if you are going to declare runners-up, it gets one whole lot more complicated.

First of all, Stacie bet on “today”. But Dave beat her to “today”, so by your rules, Stacie should be moved to October 6th, which will make HER runner up.

Then there is the question of Murray – your “update” was not time-stamped. This leaves the serious question as to whether or not Murray posted his comment before or after your closing notice. If it was before, then by your rules, Murray would have to move in line after Stacie, which would make him second runner-up. And by the same immutable logic, MFA Mama will be third runner up.

And since you already promised a win to MFA Mama, I hope you got lots of Kleenex in the closet, including the extra box you’ll need to dry off your tears of laughter.

18. Captain Momma October 5, 2009 at 12:30 pm #

Well, I guess my guess of the 13th is no good then anyways!!! That sucks Fawn, not snow yet 😦 At least we are not in Arctic Bay (Clare), it must be so short and sweet but slightly depressing to be again shrouded in winter and darkness.

We are coming close here too, to snow, perhaps I should have a contest. NO wait….I don’t want snow tonight 😉

19. Beanie October 5, 2009 at 12:30 pm #

Ha ha! Your Opa’s hilarious! PS. It’s currently sunny and a balmy 18 degrees here in Vantown… 😛

20. Barbara October 5, 2009 at 7:42 pm #

It’s okay. (dabbing my disappointed eyes)

I was only interested if the tissue box prize is of decorator quality anyways. 😉

Gonna hit the high 80’s here tomorrow.

21. Jenny October 6, 2009 at 2:54 am #

I have no idea of how to predict weather in the Yukon, but I’m feeling much better about our weather here in Ohio!
    The squirrels in my yard are really gathering up food and stocking it away like crazy. We’ve been watching them and it’s starting to worry me! Between the squirrels and the woolybears 🙂 it looks like it could be rough.
    If you could please talk to someone in Alberta and tell them to keep their clippers to themselves, that would be great! 🙂 That’s what brings our worst weather!

22. Michelle at Scribbit October 6, 2009 at 10:15 am #

Dang! I was too late on this–yesterday was so busy I missed my chance.

1. Thanks heaps, Dad! (And thanks to Aroma Borealis!) « Fawnahareo’s Place - October 6, 2009

[…] by cutting off the game before it really got a chance to get started.  As you may have read in my updated post, I declared Dave and MFA Mama as winners when I closed the contest around 10:30 […]