Thanks heaps, Dad! (And thanks to Aroma Borealis!)

6 Oct

Well, Mother Nature sure rained (or, rather, snowed) on my parade by cutting off the game before it really got a chance to get started.  As you may have read in my updated post, I declared Dave and MFA Mama as winners when I closed the contest around 10:30 a.m.

Luckily for you, my Dad gleefully pointed out how complicated things really were by using my carefully-worded rules against me.  In case you missed it:

Alright, kiddo, hold them horses. Before you declare winners, you may have to do some serious sleuthing yet. Let’s see – if there is one cm on your deck on October 5th I will readily concede defeat for myself, but if you are going to declare runners-up, it gets one whole lot more complicated.

First of all, Stacie bet on “today”. But Dave beat her to “today”, so by your rules, Stacie should be moved to October 6th, which will make HER runner up.

Then there is the question of Murray – your “update” was not time-stamped. This leaves the serious question as to whether or not Murray posted his comment before or after your closing notice. If it was before, then by your rules, Murray would have to move in line after Stacie, which would make him second runner-up. And by the same immutable logic, MFA Mama will be third runner up.

And since you already promised a win to MFA Mama, I hope you got lots of Kleenex in the closet, including the extra box you’ll need to dry off your tears of laughter.

Dang it, I hate it when he’s right.  (Which, he would tell you, is always.)  Murray did indeed post his comment before I closed the contest (which I totally meant to “time stamp”, argh).  So instead of one winner, I now have four!

Mailing out four boxes of Kleenex would totally break my budget for this game.  Happily, I was able to find a prize that I think the four winners will enjoy a lot more.

Aroma Borealis LogoI called up the lovely folks at Aroma Borealis, which is a local company that creates herbal skin care products, aromatherapy products, and herbal teas, all inspired by the northern boreal forest.  (I luuuuurve their hydrating facial cream and their all-natural shampoos and conditioners!  And I love going into their store because it smells so good in there without being overwhelmingly perfumey.  *happy sigh*)

ab-tea-pouchAroma Borealis has agreed to make up special bags of their own Arctic Wildflower Tea for our four winners, perfect for boiling up one pot on a cold autumn (or winter) evening.  There’s even an extra bag for Dad, since all you winners can thank him for making sure I didn’t cheat you out of your prizes.  (Do you think he missed a calling as a lawyer?)

Well, it was short-lived, but I declare this game a success on the basis of raising the humour quotient around here.  Thanks to Dad and Aroma Borealis for stepping in when they were needed.  This time again next year, okay?

10 Responses to “Thanks heaps, Dad! (And thanks to Aroma Borealis!)”

1. MFA Mama October 6, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

Squeeee! I never win anything! I started reading this and got all excited, then worried, and now I’m just thrilled 🙂 Could you shoot me an e-mail so I can give you the address privately please? Thank you SO much, this is EXCITING (yes, little things make me happy)!

2. Stacie October 6, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

Agh, I can’t in good conscience get a prize, I totally cheated! It was already snowing as I wrote that… so I figured I was already out. Plus Dave totally beat me. And your dad is hilarious! Nothing gets by him. Maybe you should have him read the rules over for the next contest?? 🙂

3. Kathleen October 6, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

I was clever enough to check the weather in your area…but alas only after i guessed the 26th….if i had the brain wave before the guess the prize would have been mine! ah well…i had fun anyway 🙂

4. Opa October 6, 2009 at 11:24 pm #

Sheesh, how nice, I was afraid you were going to split the prize in lottery fashion. I’d like to pick mine up in person (at my whim…:-))

5. Nai-Nai October 6, 2009 at 11:26 pm #

I have fun reading it, so much laugh early in the morning:D

6. Jenny October 7, 2009 at 4:41 am #

snow already! UCK! Our leaves haven’t even finished changing colors! It is WINDY!

7. Dave Rogers October 7, 2009 at 9:24 am #

Well, I don’t feel I played fair at all. The contest barely got started when I just happen to notice the big slushy flakes outside my window. Maybe you should restart the contest for picking the first snowfall that actually sticks: for a week after the temperature doesn’t rise above -5C or something. That seems more sporting.

8. Captain Momma October 7, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

Too funny! Trust your family to catch your slip-ups!!! I was just confused!!!

Kelli

9. fawnahareo October 7, 2009 at 7:57 pm #

Stacie and Dave, save your honourable attitudes for another time. 😉 Unless you really hate tea (in which case, Dave should share with Carole, and Stacie should share with the dogs, because we know they’ll eat ANYTHING!)

• fawnahareo October 7, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

Actually, I take that back, Stacie. I just took another look at those bags of tea and caught a whiff and it’s much too nice to share with the dogs. Even nice ones like yours. So if you don’t drink tea, you’ll just have to have a cup of coffee at my place while I brew it for myself.