A thankful pause

10 Oct

Although the dark emotions were really genuine, I’m feeling slightly sheepish for getting to such a low point last week.  I know it was a culmination of single-parenting, stressful travel preparations, and lack of sleep, so I have been doing my best since then to slow down and get to bed earlier.  I’ve even spent a few minutes on a couple of nights writing down things I am grateful for, and I’m hoping to make it a habit.

Things really are so much better than a year ago.  It’s not that I don’t appreciate it; it’s just that sometimes I’m so focussed on the end goal (seizure-freedom, seizure-freedome, seizure-freedom…) that everything else is a blur.  So this week, I’ve also been trying to regain perspective, to be thankful for the things that are great in my life.

Appropriately, this is Thanksgiving weekend which is a fact that somehow escaped my consciousness until a few days ago. (And, might I add, neener, neener, my American readers have to wait a while yet for their turkeys!)

I won’t bore you with an exhaustive list.   Instead, a few thankful highlights in no particular order:

1. Two beautiful, loving, and funny little girls I have the fortune to call my daughters.  This week I have tried to be more present for both of them, instead of being focussed on mundane tasks that had to be done.
  2. A loving and supportive husband whose talents and accomplishments I am proud of, and who I am happy to finally have home!
  3. Daily support from Amanda, which enables us to function as a normal family.
  4. That the Jade of today compared to the Jade of one year ago is like comparing a ray of sunshine to a shadow.

I have heard that the secret to being happy in life is not getting what you want, but being happy with what you get.  I still think it’s important to strive, to stretch, and to challenge ourselves, but, for this moment, I am happy to pause for a little bit and thank God — thank God! — for the wonderful things in my life.

7 Responses to “A thankful pause”

1. allmycke October 10, 2009 at 11:49 pm #

Amen.

2. Tine October 11, 2009 at 2:26 am #

Hey, Süße – just catching up (I also deleted my Facebook account – but that’s another story …), & I feel so bad for you having such a hard time 😦 … I can image how hard it must be NOT to lose sight of the things that, after all, ARE good, with ALL you have to cope with !! All I can say is that I, too, think you REALLY are doing a great job 🙂 – & that I’m sending best wishes !!

Lots of love !!

♥ ♥ ♥

3. Adventures In Babywearing October 11, 2009 at 7:30 am #

Happy thanksgiving to you!

Steph

4. Jenny October 11, 2009 at 11:23 am #

I can’t imagine celebrating Thanksgiving on a Monday! What ever American who made it on Thursday was truly a genius! We get a 4 day weekend out of it 🙂 The schools even longer, usually Isaiah only has school Mon and Tues the week of Thanksgiving.
    Your Thanksgiving is our Columbus Day, the banks and government offices are closed, apparently so those employees can go to the Columbus Day Sales!!! Nothing celebrates the discovery of our continent like 40% off bedding.

5. Barbara October 12, 2009 at 7:53 am #

We all get a bit of potential with what we get – the potential to do more.

I thought you had stopped beating yourself up over going low for a while? Stop!

Being thankful for your children is wise. With our first off at college, I am more cognizant that our children are only loaned to us. Sure miss my ManChild, but would not have him here at home and not being where he is meant to be.

I’m thankful for blogging – which has introduced me to people all over the English-speaking world. I’m thankful for you, Fawn. 🙂

6. laura morning October 12, 2009 at 4:17 pm #

Keep on taking one day at a time. I love where you compare Jade as a ray of sunshine when she was formerly a shadow. A wonderful comparison.

7. Captain Momma October 15, 2009 at 9:12 pm #

Amen. Glad you are feeling a little more this week 🙂

God is great!