Talk to me vegetabley

23 Oct

I’ve lost a bunch of weight in the last couple of months.  This is because I started a diet called “between-getting-the-baby-fed-and-the-keto-kid-fed-there’s-no-time-to-eat”.  I am frequently having breakfast two hours after I get up or supper at 9 p.m.

BubblyBunny and I have made a pact to eat better and we’ve developed meal plans.  Sort of.  I’ve yet to actually start using mine, which is pretty awful considering it was all my idea.

Part of my problem is balance.  I do eventually eat when I’m hungry, but I’m definitely not getting my 5-10 servings of fruits and veggies in a day.  I find it so hard to squeeze them in now because while most meat I can throw in the oven, pot, or slow cooker with just a few extra ingredients, I find vegetables much more work, what with washing, peeling, coring, chopping…

I’m getting so tired of red peppers and zucchinis, something I never thought I’d say.  I know I should buy more squashes because they really are dead easy to fix (as long as there isn’t also meat in the oven) and I can use them for Jade AND for Halia.  But squash will only take me so far.

Tell me: what are your favourite veggies and how do you prepare them?  Extra points for super-duper easy or fast!

13 Responses to “Talk to me vegetabley”

1. myra36 October 23, 2009 at 9:34 pm #

Hmmmm…I always have frozen veggies on hand. I throw throw them into almost everything – soups, stews, sauces, pasta, etc. No cutting, peeling or washing. You don’t even have to defrost (the heat from cooking should be enough). I like the small new potatoes too because you don’t have to peel them. Just give them a good scrub and boil. Drain, season, toss in low-fat creamy cucumber salad dressing, and you have a warm potato salad.

2. Stacie October 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm #

I hear ya, getting all the veggies in is work enough for me with no baby or keto-kid, just 12.5 very-easy-to-please dogs! I go for the frozen stuff like myra, but also can’t get enough green, yellow, red peppers, mushrooms, green onions and cucumbers. I try to have all those cut up ahead of time, and throw them in almost everything! I also easily eat a tomato a day – the easiest is just having a big chicken salad or something.

And you can’t wait till you’re hungry to eat! Get that metabolism going first thing in the morning by shoveling some (good) food in and eat small snacks in between. And drink loads of water! Ok, more info than you asked for, lol!

3. Adventures In Babywearing October 24, 2009 at 12:56 am #

I get most of mine thru salads and by cutting up ahead of time- cucumbers, celery, so they are on hand for a quick
    munch or to be thrown on a salad. Also- minestrone soup- packed with them!

Steph

4. Jenny October 24, 2009 at 5:45 am #

French fries. I get in the car, drive to McDonalds talk into the intercom, drive around and voila… there they are!

5. tanialeclerc October 24, 2009 at 6:31 am #

We do a LOT of frozen brocolli. Throw it in the steamer over the potatoes or rice (or just water if not having a starch) & it takes only a couple of minutes.

6. Tammy October 24, 2009 at 7:08 am #

I LOVE Jenny’s idea!

Sweet potatoes. They are super healthy, and tasty. Poke some holes in one, throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes, and then scoop it out. Yummy.

7. Captain Momma October 24, 2009 at 10:13 am #

Yep, frozen goes into everything. I also dumb down our salads now and then (purely out of laziness and hating to make salads), wedge of lettuce, cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, cheese chunks. Or a couple slices off a cabbage and then cut once more, crosswise, a couple carrot sticks and apple wegdes.

I throw veggies in with a roast.

Broccoli or cauliflower and cheese soups.

I’ll email you my carrot soup recipe, it LITERALLY is ready in 20 minutes and sooooo good!

8. Cristina October 24, 2009 at 7:16 pm #

I carry a baggie of dried fruit with me. Depending on which kind you like, the fruit can be high in fiber and high in nutrients. And, it easy to munch on when you’re stuck without lunch.

Easy lunch is a pear or apple with cheese (and optional crackers), or chips and salsa–a good, chunky, veggie or fruit packed kind! I buy a local, organic peach salsa that rocks.

I am not a huge fan of salad but I love greens (especially spinach) in cooking. I throw them in omelets, stirfry, soups (I love soup), stews, etc. Find ways to add extra veggies (fresh, frozen or canned) even to prepackaged foods.

(My guilty pleasure is Ramen soup–which I’ll add greens, green onions, carrots, peas and/or mushrooms to. It’s just so fast and easy–3 minutes! I love it so much, I am trying to calculate a keto ramen, using spaghetti squash, oil and eggs, for Bertrand–when he gets to that stage. 🙂

I try to freeze a lot of veggies (chopped and ready to go) from our garden, but sometimes you can’t beat canned veggies when you’re in a rush. I keep canned tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, green beans, and beans beans, all on hand to toss in at a moments notice.

I am planning my veggie patch for next spring. I am calling it my keto garden, because I am trying to plant primarily keto friendly fruits and veggies for Bertrand. 🙂 Maybe he’ll be more likely to eat them if he helped grow them? And if we can all eat them together? I can hope!

9. Asheya October 24, 2009 at 9:09 pm #

Prewashed spinach in a box or a bag is great. I put it raw on tuna sandwiches, throw it into soup at the last minute so it doesn’t overcook, and just boil it and eat it with lots of butter. It can also be added to pasta dishes and omelettes. You can also freeze it so it doesn’t go bad, and then use it in cooking as needed. I put it frozen on homemade pizza.

Frozen peas are quick and easy to cool down soup, and you get the added benefit of eating a vegetable.

That’s all I can think of for now. Take care of yourself!

10. Megan October 25, 2009 at 4:13 pm #

I’ve nominated you for Best Family Blog in the Canadian Blog Awards. I hope that’s OK. If it’s not, please let me know and I’ll get in touch with the organizers.

11. Scientific Chick October 25, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

Hi Fawn!

I like to boil a ton of brocoli (and/or cauliflower, fresh, frozen, anything works) in salt water, drain it, then puree it with garlic, more salt and olive oil (or butter for extra deliciousness), and store individual servings of this in the freezer for later enjoyment. Serves as a fancy side with anything. I have a handheld mixer thingy that really limits the dishes, too.

Also, I like to grill miscellaneous veggies (onion, asparagus, peppers, tomatoes, green beans) with olive oil and salt (all together on a single baking sheet), then let them cool, chop them up, throw in a can of chickpeas and a dijon-mustard/olive oil/lemon vinaigrette, and call it a dinner salad.

Good luck!

12. Nemmy October 26, 2009 at 5:35 pm #

Two words: Baby carrots. And you can use your favourite dressing as a dip.

Okay, so maybe raw is cheating, but it’s quick and easy! 😀

13. canadianfoodiegirl November 1, 2009 at 6:08 pm #

I start my days with a fruit smoothie, finding it easier to drink my fruit. I add an essential fatty acid oil blend, greens powder (the stuff that on its own tastes like fish food smells), sometimes flax, sometimes cacao nibs, some finely chopped or grated beet, sometimes ginger. I’ve tried leaves of kale and spinach in there too but my Magic Bullet blender doesn’t blend it well (hence my chopping or grating beet).

As for veggies, when you cook pasta you can throw some frozen ones into the water. For root vegetables, roasting is my default.
    I wilt or braise greens. It’s QUICK and I’m usually a lazy cook (except that occasionally I like to take my time). I braised some greens for dinner this evening and made a bowl of couscous. Couscous + leftover greens will be lunch tomorrow.
    (I’m going back to work after a 2.5 month vacation. Time to start cooking again, with leftovers in mind.)

Kale chips are tasty but require 30min or longer, depending on which recipe you use. You have to eat them immediately because leftovers lose crispness.

I know it’s late (I always have a handful of RSS items that I “flag for later” for over a week before dealing with them) but I hope it helps.