Don’t feed the animals

8 Nov

Keto KidThe last week of October marked Jade’s one-year anniversary on the ketogenic diet.  I’d been thinking a lot about it in the weeks leading up to it, but somehow the actual anniversary date came and went without fanfare, and without any one of us remembering it.

So much has changed in the past year.  The biggest change, of course, is slowly winning our wonderful little girl back, but there have been lots of subtle changes, too.  I remembered with wonder last night that when we started the diet, Jade was still drinking a bottle every morning.  This past week I’ve finally gotten around to preparing our supper at a reasonable time so that the four of us could eat together as a family.  And we didn’t feel guilty that we were eating different things.

Social situations have become easier, too.  The first few times when we had supper at a friend’s house, I felt very stressed about feeding Jade separately and watching that she didn’t get food from anyone else and denying her things that she might ask for.

We are blessed that Jade tends to be very compliant (so far!) and she seems to understand that she has her own special food, but it’s still important to us that people are aware of her special diet, partly for her safety, and also because the more people know about the ketogenic diet, the better!  People understand they shouldn’t offer candy to a diabetic child.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful if one day they’d automatically protect a child when they heard she was on the ketogenic diet?

That day is a long way away, though, so for now we still need to be vigilant in social situations, particularly at parties where there is lots of food and lots of people around.  At Thanksgiving, I finally made a reality out of an idea that has been bouncing around in my head for a while.

I wanted to make a shirt for Jade that would warn people not to give her food, but that she’d also enjoy wearing.  I came up with two designs, one with a princess and one with a monkey.  Then I let Jade choose the one she wanted to wear.  Through the magic of colour printers and photo-transfer paper, I was able to make her the monkey shirt just in time for the Thanksgiving potluck.

Jade's Monkey Shirt - Picniced

She loved it so much she asked for it again the next day!

I haven’t tried the princess design yet, but I think it would look sweet on a little t-shirt dress, which would be nice for a dressier party.  (Haha!  A dressy party in the Yukon!)

19 Responses to “Don’t feed the animals”

1. allmycke November 8, 2009 at 2:34 am #

That last sentence made my day!
    I have fond memories of going to parties in Inuvik, dressed in Kamik boots, padded pants and parka…

• Claire November 13, 2009 at 8:48 am #

Hi! I like your blog…and am fascinated at the progress your daughter has made on the diet…the t-shirt is a great idea! Diet is VIP for alot of kids with challenges and so few people know that. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself because I too am Canadian (Ontario)…and, if you don’t mind…I am trying to find more Canadians with blogs (or not) about their kids with challenges, particularly severe combined cognitive/physical disabilities. I’ve found more than a few Americans, but almost no Canadians. I’m at http://severedisabilitykid.blogspot.com/. Thanks alot!
      Claire

2. Nai-Nai November 8, 2009 at 5:38 am #

Well done !

3. Opa November 8, 2009 at 5:42 am #

Cutissimo

4. Cath November 8, 2009 at 7:03 am #

Fawn, you’ve got a business idea there. The t-shirt is cute… and though perhaps there’s not so many on a keto diet, there’s lots of kids with dietary restrictions. Run with that thought. I love your dress idea.

I love you and your kid(s) and your family too. You’re in my daily prayers. Thanks for blogging. Eventually I’ll figure out how to do that too.

Cath

5. MFA Mama November 8, 2009 at 7:26 am #

SO cute! I’ve been tempted to come up with a similar shirt for my youngest, who has some dietary restrictions, but they’re a little complicated. Like “Don’t give me dairy products, soy derivatives, or artificial red, orange, or purple-colored candies!” Haha.

6. Idania November 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm #

Fawn, she is *so* beautiful! I love how she’s mimicking the monkey!

7. Barbara November 8, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

She sure is pretty! (No surprise!) This is a real ‘good news’ post for showing the benefit of time and perserverance. Thank you!

8. Jenny November 8, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

With your climate doesn’t she need a parka, not just a t-shirt 🙂

9. Marian November 8, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

Jade’s adorable…..and the shirt’s pretty cute too. Great job.

10. McMommy November 8, 2009 at 4:40 pm #

Fawn, you seriously are BRILLIANT!! You could easily make a fortune off of those shirts as I bet there are so many parents out there who would use them for peanut allergies, dairy allergies, and other dietary restrictions. And Jade makes such a cute model!! 🙂

11. Megan November 8, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

I agree with the people who’ve said you could make money off those shirts. My Michael has a severe peanut allergy and I am always nervous when he’s at birthday parties.

12. Captain Momma November 8, 2009 at 6:23 pm #

That’s great Fawn! What an awesome idea!!!

13. Cristina November 8, 2009 at 9:32 pm #

You need to start a cafepress store! I would SO buy one (or ten) of those for Bertrand!!! 🙂

14. christiane November 9, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

LOVE it! What a fantastic idea 🙂 You could create a great line of these types of shirts!!
    Chris

15. Scientific Chick November 9, 2009 at 3:42 pm #

That is a super cute T-shirt. Props to you for awesome creativity!

16. hollie November 9, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

awesome idea and design, you brilliant thing. maybe we can be in cahoots when ian and i move up to whitehorse (we’re hoping for next summer…fingers crossed!!)…

17. Marie November 11, 2009 at 2:33 am #

Hi Fawn,

I love your t-shirt – what a great idea! I agree with so many other posters that you may actually have come up with a great business idea – to do in your spare time 😉

Jade makes a great model as well.

All the best,
    Marie

18. YukonJen November 28, 2009 at 12:01 am #

Hi Fawn. I love this idea! And Jade is very cute indeed. I suggested it to my friend over in Hillcrest because I think she just started her daughter on the same kind of diet.

Talk to you soon!