Shotgun post

20 Nov
  • A decent Internet connection is like good health; you never notice it until it goes bad.  I had a lovely post planned for last Wednesday, detailing Halia’s wonderful magical first birthday, but then we lost our connection for two days.  Bah!  Pictures will come sometime, though… I almost promise.
  • Thank you so much to everyone who liked Jade’s Keto Kid shirt.  There are already a number of businesses out there making allergy awareness shirts, but the designs just didn’t work well for a keto kid.  Plus the shirts weren’t cheap to buy, so I figured why not make my own.  I am more than a little tempted to look into this as a business idea, and all your enthusiasm is definitely tipping the scales!  But just not this month…
  • November is a crazy month this year.  Cah-RAAAAZE-y.  I’m back at Big Band rehearsals every Monday night and we’re also taking a boating course (and will be writing our Pleasure Craft Operator’s Certificate exam) that takes two hours every Friday night plus six hours every Saturday of the month.  Not to mention all the reading required before each class.
  • I finally learned how to tie a bowline knot, though.
  • Jade’s last bit of medication was dropped just over a week ago.  She’s now on keto and nothing else.  I’d do a happy dance, but I’m too busy touching wood.
  • Today Jade surprised me with her initiative and grammaticality by saying, “Let’s be lions!”  She also consistently called her sister “Ha-LEE-ah” rather than “HAY-la” in the hour before bedtime.  (HUGE!!) Medication drop leading to sudden language development equals coincidence?  Considering we saw the same thing happen in September… I think not.
  • We’ve been talking for a LOOOONG time about updating our family portrait.  I wasn’t even pregnant with Halia when the last one was taken.  But then every time I wanted to book a photo session, Michael would be out of town or Jade would get a bruise on her face from a bad seizure or flying pigs would attack our house.  We finally went out for a photo shoot on Monday morning.  It was -15 °C (5 °F) out there and we were all bundled in our winter gear, but I’m looking forward to seeing the results.
  • Halia has two new teeth.  Which explains her royal crankiness earlier this week.
  • I almost forgot.  Today was my birthday.  Happy 31st to me!  Michael surprised me with a new stereo with integral record player (hurrah!!) and Amanda made an absolutely decadent Black Forest Cake.  Which will have lodged itself in my hips by tomorrow morning, I’m sure.  But what a great day!
  • 10 points to the first person who can say why this is called the shotgun post.

16 Responses to “Shotgun post”

1. Meandering Michael November 20, 2009 at 12:12 am #

Because if someone impregnates it they’ll be forced, at gunpoint, to marry it?

How the heck does someone impregnate a blog post?

2. Idania November 20, 2009 at 2:23 am #

Bullet points for each line you wrote!!!

• fawnahareo November 20, 2009 at 10:23 am #

Ding! Ding! Ding! 10 points for Idania! Of course, it’s not a very good title, given that shotguns really shoot pellets, not bullets, but it just seemed to roll off the tongue (and, as my dad points out with his link, I’m not the first person to think of this blog title). (I’ll bet that other woman is just as well-versed as I am in gun culture!) Clare’s suggestion is much more technically correct, I suppose. 🙂 Michael suggested “Gatling Post” would be more appropriate… By which I deduce that a Gatling gun can shoot many bullets. Brilliant, aren’t I? 🙂

3. Jenny November 20, 2009 at 3:45 am #

Yesterday in therapy Naomi signed “more” 3 or 4 times for them. Will she do it today? I’m not holding my breath!
    It’s amazing what even a little bit of meds will do to their development. That’s why I hate to think of going on Zonegran, but if it works I”ll kick myself for waiting (still don’t even have a prescritption for it) Tuxhorn did say that she doesn’t want to push the dosage at all because Naomi is at risk of loosing development if she’s even slightly sedated. Good to know the dr is thinking of that!

4. Clare November 20, 2009 at 6:01 am #

Because it hits several targets at once. The shotgun, when fired, sends a multitude of pellets that spread out.

Happy Birthday, you missed being born the same day as Mickey Mouse by one day.

5. MFA Mama November 20, 2009 at 6:14 am #

Because it’s like a “shotgun cabin” where you run through?

6. Tammy November 20, 2009 at 6:24 am #

The bullets, the bullets!
    Happy Birthday! We are only one day (and 8 years, but let’s ignore that fact) apart!

7. Scientific Chick November 20, 2009 at 9:21 am #

I’m too late to win the 10 points, but I like Michael’s explanation the best.

Good luck with the PCO exam! It took me forever to learn the bowline, too. Something about a rabbit going around a hole?

8. taibhsearachd November 20, 2009 at 11:59 am #

Happy birthday Fawn and enjoy every crumb of that wonderful cake!

9. Cristina November 20, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

Happy birthday!!!
    Hugs!
    Bertrand & Cristina 🙂

10. Beth November 20, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

Happy Birthday!!!

11. Captain Momma November 20, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

Happy Birthday!! 31! So lucky! I cry everytime I think of my age…sniff…sniff…

it seems to be teething week as Grace just popped 2 as well!

Really want to see bday pics of the girl! My SIL had twin girls on Halia’s bday!!!! It’s a great day!!!!

Kelli

12. Captain Momma November 20, 2009 at 7:21 pm #

Do I get 10 pts for not having a clue why it was called a Shotgun post???

13. Idania November 21, 2009 at 1:30 pm #

Woooo! Now what can I spend my 10 points on? I want a unicorn!

14. Barbara November 23, 2009 at 11:21 am #

Many happy returns! (belated wishes)