30 pieces

24 Nov

One of the bright sides to Jade’s epilepsy (if you could call it that) is that we never take any of her developmental milestones for granted.  It felt like she stood still for such a long time.  Every step she moves forward feels like a huge triumph.

So you must pardon me when I tell you I was BURSTING with pride when Jade completed a 30-piece puzzle entirely on her own today.  You could have bowled me over with a feather.

But that’s not all!  When she finished that one, she did a 24-piece puzzle with a more challenging pattern on it and worked on it tirelessly (and alone!) for half an hour.  She told me she was missing some pieces and I looked and said, no, you just have a few pieces in the wrong spots, so she took them out, found the right places for them and then I realized that she really was missing a couple of pieces.  We found them in the puzzle box and she put them in place.

And then!  She took it all apart and started doing it all over again.

Anyone new to my blog will think I’m nuts, but inside I was doing a wild happy dance.

16 Responses to “30 pieces”

1. Kara November 25, 2009 at 1:59 am #

That is amazing Fawn!!! So I take it being med free is improving things?

2. Nai-Nai November 25, 2009 at 4:25 am #

Wow! I am going to cry for Joy of the news. That’s best Xmas gift for 2009. Big hugs! 😀

3. Marian November 25, 2009 at 5:23 am #

I’m with Nai-Nai. That’s not just the best gift for 2009, it’s the best news of 2009! Absolutely wonderful.
    Hugs to everyone, and congratulations!
    Love, Gran

4. taibhsearachd November 25, 2009 at 7:38 am #

Go Jade go!! I’m sure there are lots of people doing that happy dance along with you Fawn.

5. allmycke November 25, 2009 at 9:12 am #

I’m so happy for you!
    It’s been such an experience to follow you and your family through these experiences – and I’m a better person for it!

6. Adventures In Babywearing November 25, 2009 at 10:02 am #

Wow- I’m cheering with you!

Steph

7. hollie November 25, 2009 at 11:36 am #

Hooray! There’s no such thing as a small milestone 🙂

8. Scientific Chick November 25, 2009 at 11:42 am #

There’s nothing I love more than a happy dance day. I’m dancing with you!

9. Opa November 25, 2009 at 11:46 am #

Bowled over with a feather? What a picturesque idea. I fell into 30 pieces laughing. Can I borrow Jade to put me back together again?

10. Stacie November 25, 2009 at 6:35 pm #

Awesome! Way to go Jade!!

11. Jay November 25, 2009 at 9:47 pm #

I totally know what you mean that evey milestone reached will be celebrated. For now, Caleb’s smiles are the most celebrated events in my house(if smiles are counted as milestones??)
    Happy for Jade’s continuous developmental progress!

12. Captain Momma November 26, 2009 at 3:10 pm #

Fawn that’s fantastic! Praise God for small miracles!! Amen!

13. Marie November 26, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

Way to go Jade!! Fawn, I can totally relate to rejoycing in each milestone. You earned the right to burst with pride – enjoy it!! Marie

14. maleesha November 28, 2009 at 7:35 pm #

That is really cool. It fascinates me to watch kids do puzzles. It’s as if you can see their brains working. What a great milestone!!

15. Barbara November 29, 2009 at 5:03 pm #

Her puzzle skills jump is wonderful and note-worthy!

I love puzzles m’self. I just spent most of Friday working on one. So relaxing.

16. Claire November 30, 2009 at 7:50 am #

Alot of people don’t know how significant it is for a child to be able to do a puzzle…it is a hugely complex task requiring a number of different cognitive abilities. The fact that your child is repeating the action…on the same puzzle…is also very, very wonderful. In Montessori training, we learn about “repetition of the exercise” first off as indicative of a child developing not only the ability to concentrate, but a deepening of skills not always obvious on the surface. You SHOULD be excited! I am too!!