My early Christmas gift to you

17 Dec

I’ve been having a little trouble getting into the Christmas spirit this year.  I’ve been going through the motions, of course, but I’ve been preparing for it almost academically.  Now, though, I think maybe my shell is starting to crack.

On Monday night I got to attend a session of the Music Yukon Songwriters Circle.  It was such fun to meet some experienced singer-songwriters, learn about how they approach songwriting, and hear a bunch of tunes in progress.  The “homework” they had given themselves from their previous session was to write a Christmas song.  I’d already been thinking about Christmas music because of this post that Jen wrote, insinuating that I could write a Christmas song.  (Thanks for planting that seed, Jen!)

Last night while I was out walking Nanuq, I got a little inkling of an idea for a tune.  But when I sat down at the piano, something entirely different from what I’d intended came out on the page.  The whole thing — lyrics, melody, accompaniment — was written in about 15 minutes.  It’s exciting when that happens, but really, it’s as if the song is coming through me rather than from me.

I’m usually not very comfortable writing about religion on the blog, perhaps because it’s a part of my life that doesn’t feel very settled.  I’m probably more surprised than you are that the title of the song is Angels are Smiling (It’s Christmas).

Thanks to Michael, who helped me record it tonight and for making suggestions on the harmony line and making me an “album cover”.  (I think it is so cool that it is now possible to write a song one night and record it — with harmony! — the next, right at home.  This technolomogy, it is a crazy thing!  Now if I could just add a cello…)

Anyway, here it is, my early Christmas gift to you.  A very simple tune; I hope you enjoy it.

Angels are Smiling (It’s Christmas)

Rock the sleeping baby,
Tuck the wee one in.
Put out the flickering candles
And let the night begin.
And now breathe a little prayer
Of thanksgiving and of light;
The angels are all smiling
For now it’s Christmas night.
The angels are all smiling
For now it’s Christmas night.

Mary’s in the stable
And Joseph’s at her side.
The baby’s in the manger,
All warm and snug inside.
And now breathe a little prayer
Of thanksgiving and of joy;
The angels are all smiling
Now for the Christmas boy.
The angels are all smiling
Now for the Christmas boy.

Behold, a star is shining
And lighting up the sky.
The day we were awaiting,
That day of joy is nigh.
And now breathe a little prayer
Of thanksgiving and of praise;
The angels are all smiling
For dawn it’s Christmas day.
The angels are all smiling
For dawn it’s Christmas day.

©2009. Fawnahareo’s Place. All rights reserved.

44 Responses to “My early Christmas gift to you”

1. Kara December 17, 2009 at 2:47 am #

Fawn, that was absolutely beautiful! You have such an amazing talent. Now write a few more and sell us all the cd!!!!

2. Nai-Nai December 17, 2009 at 4:05 am #

Beautiful! Merry Christmas🙂

3. Nai-Nai December 17, 2009 at 4:13 am #

It’s blessing! I remember the other song you wrote. Positive! and Believe! Love you.

4. Nancy December 17, 2009 at 6:00 am #

Beautiful! You have a talent with playing and singing — continue to use it.

I enjoy reading your blog.

5. Tammy December 17, 2009 at 6:17 am #

WOW!! Fawn, that is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing that with us.
    If you ever put together an album, let me know. I want a copy!

6. indigo December 17, 2009 at 6:39 am #

Lovely clear voice. Thanks for the song, enjoy your holidays may they be healthy and happy ones.

7. MFA Mama December 17, 2009 at 7:18 am #

Have you seen portablenorthpole.tv? If not, go check it out! I am very Scrooge-y this holiday season but made the youngest a video on there and showed it to him and oh, it did warm the cockles of my black little heart to see his reaction!

8. taibhsearachd December 17, 2009 at 7:22 am #

Absolutely beautiful Fawn! Thank you for making my morning.

9. Anissa December 17, 2009 at 7:52 am #

what a nice start to my day, you are truly amazing, beautiful voice!

10. Jenny December 17, 2009 at 8:36 am #

Great job! Much better than the “Swiftmas” song going around the internet🙂

11. Scientific Chick December 17, 2009 at 9:22 am #

Fawn, your many talents never cease to amaze me. What a beautiful song! Thanks for sharing!

12. Carole December 17, 2009 at 10:28 am #

Your voice is so beautiful Fawn. And I agree, adding a cello in there would add depth to the music.

13. Beth December 17, 2009 at 11:25 am #

It was beautiful, maybe i will try to get in the Christmas spirit also. Not with music, can’t sing, but you sure can

14. christiane December 17, 2009 at 1:19 pm #

Absolutely beautiful!

15. Omichen December 17, 2009 at 1:51 pm #

It was not a good start in the morning, today, but it is a very good start in the night. Look at the time so far away from Whitehorse. Love you, Fawn and your family. In Deutschland sagt man: Wo man singt, da lass dich ruhig nieder,
    böse Menschen haben keine Lieder!

16. Roger December 17, 2009 at 2:46 pm #

Fawn,

Lovely song. Starting to put me in the Christmas mood. Thanks.

Roger

17. Marian December 17, 2009 at 3:00 pm #

Lovely, Fawn.

18. Brigindo December 17, 2009 at 4:05 pm #

I love it. Thanks so much for sharing.

19. laura morning December 17, 2009 at 4:54 pm #

Beautiful lyrics. I love Christmas carols and never get tired of them but it is so nice to hear a new song. I’m with Kara. Make a CD.

20. YukonJen December 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm #

LOVE IT Fawn! LOVE IT. I will join in the chorus and request the CD.

PS. I played it three times.

21. Vivian Lee December 17, 2009 at 8:33 pm #

Fawn
    Beautiful! Merry Christmas!

22. Stacie December 17, 2009 at 9:34 pm #

Holy crap that’s cool! Great job, you are so talented!!

And I love the album cover!! (kudos to the hubby)🙂

23. Sarah December 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm #

I love it, Fawn. Thank you for sharing it!

24. YukonJen December 18, 2009 at 1:31 am #

Are you and Michael (and family) coming to the bloggy brunch?

03 January 2010…

I hope so.

25. Tricia December 18, 2009 at 7:23 am #

Hi Fawn. Thank you so much for reaching out to us. Wow! 5:1? I am so happy to hear it’s working. Any encouragement is much appreciated! We are hanging in there and are praying this works for Noah. Happy Holidays to you and your family. I am really enjoying reading your blog! My husband is envious of where you guys live and wants to know if you have any extra rooms for rent! ::smile:: We love the mountains!
    Take Care,
    Tricia

26. Clare December 18, 2009 at 7:52 am #

Love it. Love it. Did I mention that I love it.

27. Mike December 18, 2009 at 11:04 am #

Ein tolles Lied und ein schönes Cover!

28. Barbara December 18, 2009 at 2:02 pm #

(Blubbering) thanks! It is the perfect gift! Means so much to me! Thank you a million times.

Love reading about the through you not from you feeling.

That would settle some of God in my life for me.

My children are rapidly escaping their teens and I am getting that feeling of not from me but through me about my children. Too.

Love and Merry Christmas, Fawn, Michael, Jade and Halia!

29. Sharleen December 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

Hi Fawn, What a beautiful song!! I was feeling pretty bah-humbug today, it was the perfect thing to pick me up!! Sharl

30. Loukia December 18, 2009 at 7:57 pm #

Wow! Just beautiful!

31. Laurie December 19, 2009 at 5:39 am #

Wow. Sitting here with my early morning coffee, dogs back snoring around my feet and on the couch, Christmas tree lights on, feeling very peaceful, and then I put on your song. I am teary, Your voice is SO gorgeous and what a beautiful, beautiful song. Just Wow. And thank you. You have a gift, and you have shared it. What a great present. If you don’t mind, i will now be sharing it with everyone I can. I think it is just the most beautiful message.
    I hope your family has a wonderful Christmas.
    Laurie

32. Tammy December 19, 2009 at 7:38 am #

Hi Fawn,

Way to go…very nice song. Sounds awsome!!

33. Jay December 19, 2009 at 8:05 pm #

Wow, you are a multi-talented woman! Amazing! This is a worth-being-played-on-the-radio kind of song.
    Thank you so much for your warm and wise words. what you’ve shared made total sense …
    Have a wonderful Christmas!!

34. Helena December 19, 2009 at 8:52 pm #

Ok I figure it is high time I come out of lurking.

1) Aww … thanks for sharing your song!🙂

2) Regarding X’mas … well … it is a wee bit hard to get into the spirit when someone’s croaking (badly) about gagging the reindeer and pretending not to be home.😉

35. Asheya December 20, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks for the beautiful song, Fawn! So glad to hear you are writing and singing. I love the family photo, too. xo to all of you.

36. Guy December 20, 2009 at 8:16 pm #

Fawn,
    It’s absolutely gorgeous.
    And knowing you, I’m sure the cello will find it’s way in there.
    May you, Michael, Jade and Halia
    (and yes, Crook and Nanuk!)
    have a wondrous Christmas !

37. Tine December 21, 2009 at 9:07 am #

Just beautiful🙂 !!

(Early) Merry X-Mas to you, Michael, & little Jade & Halia –
    miss you, Süße !!

♥ ♥ ♥

38. Danielle December 23, 2009 at 10:02 pm #

Fawn, c’est une merveilleuse chanson!
    J’aimerais beaucoup faire plus de musique avec toi.
    On apprend tellement en présence des autres.
    Merci de faire la musique pour nous à la messe de Noël.

affection
    Danielle Bonneau

39. Tori December 31, 2009 at 11:53 am #

Such a beautiful song, Fawn. Happy New Year to you, Michael, Jade and Halia!

40. Rain January 16, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

We loved the song too! My two kids have danced to it several times. They are little (2 and 4 years old) and like to roll on the ground while listening to it. I wonder what it is about the song that makes them do that? But, they make me wonder all the time. Thanks for sharing your lovely song!

41. www.rivermeadow.com July 10, 2014 at 12:01 am #

This is certainly definitely great… Thanks a lot and even sustain this excellent
    labor of love…

1. Merry Christmas from Fawn over at Fawnahareo.com | Yukon Jen: A Series of Random Events - December 17, 2009

[…] though–being true to herself, actually wrote and recorded her own Christmas song and published it. I am so […]

2. A Christmas gift for you | Fawnahareo's Place - December 22, 2013

[…] P.S. If you are looking for more Christmas music, there’s always the little tune I wrote in 2009. […]