Hypoallergenic Christmas

29 Dec

So, how was your Christmas?  Did Santa bring you everything you wished for?  Did you get to stuff yourself with turkey, gravy, potatoes, and your favourite veggies?

(We had a great day, overall, thanks for asking.  My dad joined us for Christmas this year — while my mom is now off visiting her family in Taiwan — and he even put in an appearance as Santa Claus first thing Christmas morning.  You should see the bruise where my jaw hit the floor when I heard he had brought a Santa suit.   Seriously, grandparenthood changes everything.)

But speaking of Christmas dinner, we had a delicious meal, if I do say so myself.  I was frequently stressed during the cooking, sometimes because of howling children who absolutely-needed-mama-rightthisverysecond.  But mostly because I wasn’t sure how long some of my dishes were going to take and there hadn’t been time to do advance prep.  I ventured into new territory this year, mostly to make the meal Michael-friendly.

Y’see it turns out Michael has a whole schwack of food allergies/sensitivities (most likely a result of a chronic yeast imbalance that we discovered just a few months ago).  So suddenly we are cooking gluten-, dairy-, egg-, {and a whole lotta other stuff}- free.  (I won’t give any more away, or you’ll have an unfair advantage on his Villainous Vittles contest.)

Yeah it sucks.  But it’s also good.

It sucks for the obvious reasons: the foods we have to cut out, more time and trouble preparing meals, not being able to eat out.  But there have been some happy side effects.

For one, we’ve both become a lot more creative about coming up with our meals.  We’re trying new foods and ingredients cooking methods and liking it.  For another, having to cook everything from scratch using fresh ingredients and emphasizing lean meat and veggies means we’ve been eating a much healthier menu.

And the extra bonus on top of that?  I’ve lost weight without even trying.

Actually, it’s a wee bit problematic, as my clothes aren’t fitting so well these days.  I gave away my smaller clothes long ago, thinking I’d never see 135 again.  But, oh well, I guess that’s a problem I can live with.

And anyway, it makes me feel a little better about scarfing, um, (Michael don’t read this) 20 Toffiffee candies in one sitting on Christmas night.  (Did you know those buggers are 45 calories each???!  Please don’t do the math on that one…)

12 Responses to “Hypoallergenic Christmas”

1. Tine December 29, 2009 at 2:00 am #

Sounds like you had a busy, but fun day (I think I can imagine ~ back from the days when I was detoxicating – & only allowed to have vegetables, fruit, tea, & water ~ how much afford you’re putting into cooking these days … But, as you said, it really does make you creative – & it’s so healthy, too) !!

I’m having a fun holiday season, too – some time to relax (although I’m working right now …), & go out with friends (finally) !!

So, again, Merry X-Mas, Süße – & best wishes for the New Year, too !!

♥ ♥ ♥

2. vivian_Lee December 29, 2009 at 3:43 am #

Fawn,
    你好,祝你们全家圣诞快乐!新年快乐!

3. Sharl December 29, 2009 at 6:56 am #

It’s definitely a huge challenge when there are food sensitivities!! I think that everyone in the family benefits by the introduction of more varieties of food. For me eating at home is much easier than eating away!! One of my can’t-live-withouts are cookies!! I’ve posted a few of my trials on Facebook… To my happy surprise Simon’s mom made 2 types of gluten free cookies (peanut butter and fudge), and bought a really yummy wheat-free ginger snap from the Table vegetarian restaurant in Ottawa. For Christmas Santa brought a book I’ve been wanting “The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook” gluten, dairy and egg free…. I’ll have to share the recipes that work out. They also have a great blog with recipes http://www.nourishingmeals.com.

4. Scientific Chick December 29, 2009 at 7:18 am #

It’s illegal to count calories on Christmas day.

5. Tammy December 29, 2009 at 9:25 am #

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year Fawn!

Sounds like a great day. We had a wonderful time here, as well.
    I gotta say, between Jade’s diet, and Micheal’s allergies, it amazes me that you can find any food to eat!! You’re amazing!

6. canadianfoodiegirl December 29, 2009 at 6:55 pm #

Wow. That’s intense.
    Merry Christmas, Fawn.

7. Loukia December 30, 2009 at 12:55 pm #

Now that I think about it, I didn’t eat enough Tofiffee. My favourite! 🙂 Merry Christmas and all the best in 2010!

8. Malke December 30, 2009 at 2:06 pm #

A friend of mine (and a fabulous cook) had to adapt all her recipes to be completely allergen free after her baby was born. (Passed through her breast milk). Anyhow, she has a website — http://www.top8free.com — with recipes she’s created including lots of different world cuisine and baked goods. I don’t have food allergies, but I eat her stuff anyhow because it’s such amazing and delicious food.

9. Megan December 30, 2009 at 8:24 pm #

Allergies suck. For the past week I’ve been living out of a hotel room, searching for restaurants that serve food that is:
    1) Peanut free (Michael: severe allergy)
    2) Gluten free (Steve: celiac and my mom: newfoundsensitivitydontgetmestarted)
    3) Chocolate free (Mom: allergy)
    4) MSG free (Mom: allergy)
    5) Vegan (Mom: a choice)
    6) High-fructose corn syrup free (Mom: a choice)

I’ve been drinking a lot.

10. Captain Momma December 30, 2009 at 9:58 pm #

First, Megan, if I was you, I’d be drinking a lot too!!!

We are in the same boat as we have been doing the same with Levi.

Have you tried/discovered coconut flour yet?? It is 75% fiber! Who knew?? So things made with it are therefore low carb!! It cannot be substituted one for one but I did get a recipe book that’s OK and a start anyways.

Let me know if you’d like some recipes! Or flour!

11. Megan December 31, 2009 at 8:28 pm #

Coconut flour is pretty expensive in Yellowknife, but I’m open to trying new things. How do you bake with it? The best gluten-free flour we’ve found for baking is sorghum. It’s especially good in cookies when combined with instant Irish oats.

12. Idania January 3, 2010 at 5:39 pm #

Hm, I guess that’s an incentive to eat the way Jillian is too, if that means that I’m going to lose weight! We’re going to find out in a couple of weeks if we’re to take Jillian off the gluten. (Please no!)