Red is best

29 Dec

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was in Grade 4.  I’ve had six different pairs of glasses in that time, but the first ones that really suited me I got when I was 23 years old.  That’s a lifetime of ugly glasses, people.

Don’t believe me?  Shall I humiliate myself by showing you a picture that a “friend” (ahem) posted on Facebook that I almost untagged because of the horror of being associated with it?

Ugly Ugly Glasses

*shudder*

When I was 23, I finally got a pair of glasses that suited my face.  I was in love.  I was actually happy to wear them in public.

And they lasted me until two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, I was play-wrestling with Halia on the floor when she reached up and grabbed my glasses.  “Not my glasses!” I shouted.  Right before I heard “CRACK!”

The acetate frames were not particularly flexible, and Halia had put just enough force on them to crack them, right under one of the lenses.  They were still sort of wearable.  But every time I’d push the glasses up the lens would fall out.  Next morning, the lens fell off my face, hit the edge of my oatmeal bowl and a piece chipped right off.  Fortunately, I found the chip and was able to eat the rest of my breakfast.

I resigned myself to the inevitable and went in search of a new pair of glasses, a chore I hate.  I have little faith in my sense of style; after all, I’ve made only one good choice in my whole history of glasses-choosing.  Happily, I found something suitable after just a short search.  Of course, with Christmas on the way and the frames and lenses coming in from Vancouver or Montreal, I was in for a bit of a wait.

And then last week, I took out my contact lenses for the day, set my broken glasses on my nose and headed for the bedroom to change into my PJs.  As I pulled my t-shirt off over my head, a fatal catastrophe befell my poor glasses.

SNAP!

The break in the frame had snagged on my shirt and not only did the frames break right through, but the lense snapped, as well.  Like so:

And so I’ve been forced to wear half a pair of glasses for a week.

But the story has a good ending, because today I got to pick up my new glasses.  I’m not sure yet if I’m in love, but I’m pretty darned infatuated.  Everything is better in red.

The best part?  These glasses have metal frames, so they should be at least a little more Halia-proof.

26 Responses to “Red is best”

1. vivian_Lee December 30, 2009 at 5:23 am #

Hello,FAWN

新眼镜很适合你~很漂亮!

2. Nemmy December 30, 2009 at 5:27 am #

I loves ’em!!!

3. Opa December 30, 2009 at 6:12 am #

Halia is upholding the family tradition. Her great grandfather’s spectacles went a-snap around 1960’ish in the choo-choo-train betweeen Lüchow and Hamburg following an impromptu power hug from a 5-year-old. Fortunately for yours truly, Halia’s forebear thrice removed took it in stride, considering his oft-mercurial temperament, even though I am sure that a pair of spectacles took a much greater chunk out of the budget of a 7-headed family in those days than would be the case today.

4. indigo December 30, 2009 at 6:18 am #

smart looking, I am a big fan of red glasses and those look grrrrrrrrrrrreeat on you

5. Brigindo December 30, 2009 at 6:25 am #

Absolutely stunning.

6. Megan December 30, 2009 at 7:46 am #

They look great!

7. Clare December 30, 2009 at 8:21 am #

They do look great.

8. Carole December 30, 2009 at 9:00 am #

The red glasses suit you as did the ones before. The right glasses (or wrong ones) can make such a difference in appearance.

9. Tammy December 30, 2009 at 9:16 am #

I love them! And, in an odd coincidence, I am off to pick out new glasses for myself today!

10. Beanie December 30, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

*Ahem* I’m going to choose to believe that “friend” is in quotations to make it appear more dynamic (as opposed to sarcastic), because the word on its own just doesn’t express the sheer awesomeness that is me…

“friend” vs. friend

See?! One is much more dynamic than the other. (Yes. Yes, I CAN argue this, because “someone” neglected to use two little words: so-called). 😛

FYI, I think you look pretty good, considering that it was the mid-90’s and everyone had glasses like that – mine were silver with back, green and purple flecks. Furthermore, if it makes you feel any better, I feel the exact same way about every single photo that was ever taken of me before May 2000 (which is when it finally dawned on me to start plucking my eyebrows).

And, on a final note, your new glasses look quite snazzy and I bet they’d look really good with that red and blue crystal necklace that a certain “friend” of yours made…

11. taibhsearachd December 30, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

Love ’em!

12. laura morning December 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm #

Good choice. It is so hard to pick glasses because you can’t really see them without having glasses.
    I must admit I have never seen anyone break both the glasses and the lenses like that. First the pot, now the glasses – what’s next?

13. MommyTime December 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm #

THOSE glasses are fantastic! You made a great choice. Happy holidays.

14. hollie December 30, 2009 at 6:48 pm #

those are the perfect glasses for you! very chic. whitehorse won’t know what hit it.

15. Kara December 30, 2009 at 7:14 pm #

Looking very sexy in red!!

16. vivian_Lee December 30, 2009 at 8:13 pm #

Members Yukon’s friends are willing to add my MSN do?Thank u
    MSN:smiland@msn.com

17. Scientific Chick December 30, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

I absolutely love shopping for glasses (which is funny, because I generally hate shopping). In fact, I would buy a new pair of glasses every month if I could. So while I cannot sympathize with your hatred of glasses shopping, I really love your new glasses! They look great on you!

18. Captain Momma December 30, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

I LOVE them! A gorgeous new look for a new year!

19. Omichen December 31, 2009 at 2:37 am #

Du siehst fantastisch aus! Du bist überhaupt eine hübsche Frau. Schade, dass ich kein junger Mann bin !

20. Jenny December 31, 2009 at 8:14 am #

Very chic and cute!
    I never have worn glassed, but went to school with a girl who had Octagon shaped mint green glasses. Thankfully now she wears contacts 🙂

21. Andrea January 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Lookin’ good!

22. Idania January 3, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

Yowza! Love it!

Jillian had head-butted me a year and a half ago, and bent the right hand side of the frame.

Susan head-butted the other side of my glasses 2 weeks ago, and *really* bent it. If I look down, my glasses are ready to fall off my head! I guess I’d better suck it up and look for another pair this year!

23. Idania January 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm #

Oh, I forgot to mention that my second pair of glasses were PINK FROSTED!!! Unfortunately it lasted for 3 years. I’d show you a picture, but I burned all the evidence!

24. Cathy January 4, 2010 at 12:20 am #

Perfect glasses! Gorgeous on a gorgeous gal!! I really like the new glasses! They make you look sassy and ready for anything!

Great choice!

25. Asheya January 4, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

Ha ha, I so remember big glasses that can only make you look nerdy days. That was me from 10 years old to I think maybe 19 or 20. The new red glasses are definitely awesome.

1. What a morning « Fawnahareo’s Place - June 8, 2010