Hush little baby

21 Jan

Okay, I’ve been fooled before, I admit it.  But we’re now on the third night, so that’s a pretty good streak.  Still, I might have to whisper.

(For three nights in a row now, I’ve been able to put Halia into her crib wide awake and and she has rolled over and gone to sleep on her own, with no crying.  And even a giggle on Tuesday night.)

I’ve been sleep-training for about a month.  The truth is, I had had it.  Halia would nurse and nurse and nurse and often not so gently, either.  And then she’d flip her head the other way, arch her back and expect to be allowed to go play.

The first night of “training” (unplanned beforehand) I stayed with her in her room and kept putting her on her back whenever she tried to get up.  I kept hugging her or rubbing her belly or back when she cried, looking for a boob.  It took an hour and a half, but she finally went to sleep.  After that night, I’d stay with her for a while, but if she kept sitting up, I’d tell her I would leave, and then I’d leave.  And then she’d cry.  And I’d go back in and we’d start all over again.

Going to Vancouver didn’t really help the process, especially as I made exceptions on a few nights and nursed her down.  We were all sleeping in the same room and Jade couldn’t be put to bed until Halia was asleep, so a compromise had to be made.

I am blabbering all these unimportant and uninteresting details because I simply cannot believe it.  How long with this last?  Is this it?  Will I now be able to nurse her a little, lay her down in her bed, and then actually go about my business for the evening?  Can it really be true?

(Also?  With the exception of last night, during which she obviously was having some gastric upset, Halia sleeps soooo much better when she falls asleep on her own.  Oh my, I’m really tempting fate by telling you that one!)

6 Responses to “Hush little baby”

1. bubblybunny January 22, 2010 at 3:51 am #

I think you’ve done it! I found with my son, once he learned to sleep on his own, he never needed me to rock him to sleep again. For a while, he was able to fall asleep on his own at night but we were still rocking him to sleep for naps. Then one day, I just put him down for his nap like I do for bedtime, he cried for about 2-3 min and then he was out. We did that for about 2-3 days and then he has been napping on his own since!! It’s great!!!

Anyway, good luck with Halia. I think you can rest easy now. 😉

2. Jenny January 22, 2010 at 5:45 am #

Naomi fell asleep on her own from day 1! then when she started the Topamax ween I started sleeping with her and ruined it.
    I nursed both my kids Isaiah always fell asleep, Naomi never did. But when their 1st birthday rolled around I was done with that! Isaiah actually never even took a bottle, he would not drink from one. He went straight to sippy cup at 4 months for water and juice. I think it’s his whole gag reflex thing. He couldn’t stand the nipple.

3. MommyTime January 22, 2010 at 6:09 am #

My kids sleep so much better when they fall asleep alone. I even notice, now that they’re older, that on the nights when they “can’t sleep” and I let them curl up in our bed to fall asleep (we are still awake and downstairs), they never sleep as well for the rest of the night. It is very common for them to come back into our room a few times in the night if they have started the night in our bed. But if they start in their own beds, and fall asleep on their own, things are much better. We went through months of lying down with son for a few minutes to help him fall asleep, which turned into staying there until he was asleep, which was a HUGE mistake. It took him longer and longer to fall asleep, and he couldn’t fall asleep on his own. Suddenly, I was lying there for 45 minutes every night, grumpily thinking about all the things I needed to be doing. The falling asleep on their own thing cannot be overrated. Congratulations on reaching that great milestone!

4. Tammy January 22, 2010 at 6:15 am #

Wow, you ARE testing fate! I hope it works out for you….life is so much easier once they sleep on their own!

5. Cristina January 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

Quick! Knock on wood. 😉

Congrats! 🙂

6. marianne January 22, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

In my experience so far (all of Maya’s 27 months), babies’ and kids’ sleep patterns shift periodically giving new and interesting challenges to their parents. However, once they’ve passed a milestone it’s easier to get them back into the good (or at least parentally desired habits) because their little bodies and brains seem to know it’s possible.

Tonight Maya is sleeping in her big bed for the first time. We had a “big bed” party tonight with cake and everything, and then put her to bed in her big bed. She went to sleep better than she has in a month! I’m hoping it wasn’t just due to Grandma’s special touch, and that she’s just accepted her new bed … so keep your fingers crossed for me, and I’ll keep mine crossed for you!