A Rogueish look

22 Jan

I like my hair.  It suits me and it’s pretty undemanding.  This wasn’t always the case — just check out my disastrous Grade 8 photo with the Perm of Doom, or ask my 7-year-old self why the heck she would pine for long blond tresses.  We have come to understand each other, my hair and I, and as long as I keep it trimmed we get along just fine.

I started getting gray hairs pretty early on.  In university, I would get a patch of gray just above each ear whenever exam time rolled around.  Now those patches have disappeared, but I have a new silvery one that has developed over the last 5 to 7 years.

Exhibit A: Taken with the crappy green-tinted camera on my laptop. Because I was lazy.

I know I’m supposed to hate my gray hair and all, but, well, I don’t.  I’ve often said that I wished it would just get stronger, darnit, because then I would look just like that X-Men character, Rogue.

Exhibit B: Yep, EXACTLY like that. (Pic stolen from http://extmovie.com/)

The natural silver streak has become slightly more pronounced over the years, but I’ve often toyed with the idea of going into the salon and playing it up through the magic of chemicals.  When I got my haircut a few months ago, the young hairdresser love the idea.  Last month, however, the 40s-ish hairdresser I had was adamant that she would never let me do such a thing.

Playing it up, I’d be joining the ranks of such greats as Cruella DeVil, and (God help me) Stacy London.  On the other hand, going natural fits much better with my general philosophy of low-maintenance hair care.

I know I have way more important things to worry about.  But once in a while it’s nice to indulge in some frivolous narcissism.  So, what say ye, bloggy peeps?  Care to cast a vote?

19 Responses to “A Rogueish look”

1. Jenny January 23, 2010 at 6:27 am #

i say let it go. Trying to hide it will only stress you out and cause more gray hairs! I find one here and there. Both my maternal grandparents held onto their dark hair well. When my grandpa died, at 91, he just had little bits of gray here and there. He said his hair stayed so dark because he never let a woman cut it 🙂

2. Jennifer January 23, 2010 at 7:25 am #

….I say play it up!

3. Brigindo January 23, 2010 at 7:41 am #

I’ve been slow to gray but I really like the idea of the total gray almost white look. I’m sure my hair won’t go that way but instead just look faded and dull (like my mother’s). I don’t think I’ll enhance it to achieve the look because frankly I’m much to lazy to do it right and keep it up. So, yes I love the idea of a streak of gray in dark hair but if you’re not committed to keeping it up, I say no.

4. Clare January 23, 2010 at 8:30 am #

I’m going to sit firmly on the fence here. I’m a fan of leaving things the way they are, but have to admit that “playing it up” would be a cool look for you.

BTW, green tinted or not, that is my second favourite photo of you.

5. taibhsearachd January 23, 2010 at 8:38 am #

Back in my CBC Radio days I worked with a woman who got a white band of hair (a portion of the right side of her bangs) at the age of 13. She figured it had something to do with the onset of mensturation. I thought it looked very sexy. She currently works for CBC TV and when I see her on air it makes me sad because she now dies her hair and that beautiful white streak is gone. So my vote is go for it! I think with your dark hair it would look fabulous. And if you don’t like it, no harm done because you can always cover it up again.

6. Megan January 23, 2010 at 9:37 am #

Heck yeah. It’s hair. If you don’t like it, just dye it back.

7. Tammy January 23, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Go for it! Play it up! And like Megan said, if you don’t like it, it’s just hair. It’s not a forever choice.

8. Beanie January 23, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Streak! Streak! Streak! Streak!

You know, it’s only been over the past year, since I shaved my head, that I’ve decided that I like my own tresses – curly hair tends to be fairly high-maintenance. Unfortunately, it’s also been over the past year that I’ve really started to notice those little silver intruders. Yours at least have the decency to come in in a form that you can play around with… 😉

9. Cristina January 23, 2010 at 11:25 am #

Play up the streak! I agree with Megan. 🙂

I have a streak myself–since age 15! (My dad was all gray by his late 20’s and all white by late 30’s. My mom however just started getting a streak in her 50’s so I am a clear cross between them.) I’ve been dying my hair every 4-6 weeks for OMG! 14 years!?! When did it get to be that long?! Believe it or not, I actually do believe in aging gracefully, but 15 was just a little too young for me to start the process! I just dye it my natural color, but for a long time now I’ve wanted to see about playing it up. Maintenance, since I’ve been at it already for so long, isn’t a concern for me. But I am one for commitment, so once I go streaked I won’t be going back to all dark. I am oscillating between 35 and 40 as the magic number. Makes me kinda look forward to turning 35 or 40.

BTW, you will look EXACTLY like Rogue. 😉

10. Scientific Chick January 23, 2010 at 11:26 am #

I say leave it be. Less maintenance, for sure. And I like the natural look.

11. allmycke January 23, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Play it up!

12. Barbara January 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm #

Do what you want, but I have not ever and don’t ever intend to use my time or money to color my hair.

Ahem.

Does the rest of you look like Rogue?

13. Meandering Michael January 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm #

Barbara, I agree with you. And yes, yes she does.

• Barbara January 24, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

What a good husband you are – not for recognizing her ‘finer’ qualities, but for posting them!

14. Tine January 24, 2010 at 8:10 am #

“Wenn Du eine Pechsträhne hast, dann färbe sie blond.” 😉

Fortunately, it ‘s NO “streak of bad luck”, though – just hair 🙂 !!

♥ ♥ ♥

15. Omichen January 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

Barbara soll erst einmal abwarten was mit ihren Haaren wird, when she is getting older.

• Barbara January 25, 2010 at 5:06 am #

Nein sprechtenzie Deutch.

16. Loukia January 25, 2010 at 6:38 am #

I totally like it! You’re so pretty.

17. Captain Momma January 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

Go for it! You can always cover it up!