As if to prove a point

28 Jan

mentioned Halia is a climber?

Amanda isn’t feeling well today, so it’s just me and the girls at home.  This means a lack of supervision when essential tasks are taking place, such as cooking meals or making a cup of coffee.  (ahem

This morning I was washing dishes and realized that the girls had been very quiet in the living room for probably almost 10 minutes.  So quiet that I should have realized I needed to check on them.  I whipped off the rubber gloves and peeked around the corner.

Wouldn’t you know it?  They were sitting close together on the couch, each with her own book.  Books.  Even Halia, who normally needs more action than a book affords.  Colour me impressed.

So after lunch when I snuck into the office to check my messages for 5 minutes and then realized after that elapsed time that it was eerily quiet again, I primed up the camera, ready to get a shot of those two loving it up on the couch.

Instead I found this:

Not only did Halia climb over the arm of the couch, across a flimsy folding table, up onto the piano, and somehow navigate around the upright music stand and over an unstable stack of music, she did it all with a four-sizes-too-big-for-her shackle of a boot.

Clearly, my house is not as childproof as I thought it was.  And clearly, we have to work on Jade’s tattling skills.

13 Responses to “As if to prove a point”

1. Cristina January 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

LOL! No amount of childproofing would be adequate for that adorable force of nature you call Halia! But good luck anyway! 🙂

2. MommyTime January 28, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

That is a great photo — and I love that you snapped it before you grabbed her down off the piano. How funny! My younger one is a huge climber too. I once found her on top of the toilet tank, stuck. There’s nothing to do about those little climbers except catch quickly. 🙂

3. Jenny January 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm #

I’ve got a climber too! The play yard is the best thing we’ve ever bought!!!! When we’re all home together we take it apart and put 1/2 in front of the TV so she can’t fall against the edge of the entertainment center and put the other 1/2 in front of the fireplace so she can’t fall on the tile. BUT! Then she gets on the chair and in the blink of an eye and stands on the arm of a chair, holds onto the mantel and tries to reach anything she can. I didn’t realize she’d climbed up there so quick, and gotten down with some loot, until I heard glass clinking against glass. She had a candle and was banging it against the TV. The candle had been sitting on the mantel! She is fast and dangerous!

4. Scientific Chick January 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

So sweet! Not only a climber, but also a pianist…

5. allmycke January 28, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

Good Lord! The picture wasn’t half as scary before I read your description of what she climbed OVER to get there! I thought she’d used a chair to climb up – not the equivalent of the North Face!

6. Kara January 28, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

ahahahah What an adorable little monkey you have!

7. Captain Momma January 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm #

She’s so cute! I think Grace is following in Halia’s footsteps!!! They seem to have the same personality 🙂

8. Opa January 29, 2010 at 3:13 am #

Herr mother was an intrepid climber at that age. You might need to negotiate a deal with Jade to be your extra eyes if Halia goes way too far out on a keyboard. Nice to see Jade turn into a bookworm.

9. Karyn January 29, 2010 at 5:17 am #

Shocking that she was able to climb atop a piano without making a sound!!

10. Marian January 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

It sounds as though Halia got the climbing genes from both sides of the family. All three of ours were climbers. Eyes in the back of the head are useful! Thanks for the photo. Too cute.

11. canadianfoodiegirl February 8, 2010 at 11:51 am #

I just noticed this down at the bottom of my unread items (and yet I’d read newer ones). That is so cute. Sometimes I’m reminded of why they’re called “toddlers”.

1. The one where she talks about sheets « Fawnahareo’s Place - March 11, 2010

[…] Remember that post where she climbed over the couch across the folding table and onto the piano?  Yep, she kept doing […]

2. Dang. She can climb! « It's a Butterful Life - July 26, 2010

[…] me of someone who found their child on top of the piano […]