The non-party party

29 Jan

Tomorrow Jade will be turning four.  She has been looking forward to this and asking about it since at least as far back as Halia’s birthday.  We’ve been discussing it a lot because we do a lot of counting and talking about ages, and also because we’ve been preparing her for gving up soother.  (More on that another time.)

To mark the day, I’ve invited some of Jade’s friends to go sliding in the morning, with the option of having a bowl of soup and some fresh bread afterward.  But it’s not a party.  It’s not a party because (a) Michael’s out of town, and he’s upset enough about missing Jade’s birthday without also missing the official celebration, and because (b) I’m pretty ambivalent about the whole birthday party thing anyway.

We did have a party for Jade last year (just a few of her little friends from 3 families, but with all the parents along, it ended up being quite a crowd!) and I even make her a keto cake and our friend Deb made matching chocolate cupcakes for the other kids to enjoy.  It was fun, but really I  just wanted it to be about Jade getting a chance to visit friends.  Because she loves playing with other kids.

I don’t think she needs the extra presents, nor the hordes watching the unwrapping of presents, and goodness knows she doesn’t need any hullaballoo about cake.  And the whole “princess for a day” mentality just doesn’t sit well with me; fortunately she’s not old enough for that yet, but I certainly don’t feel the need to set the tone.

I don’t want to ignore  her birthday altogether, but I think at her age and at this stage, a little “playdate plus” is more than enough celebration.  She’s getting a couple of great presents in the morning, plus she’ll be able to look forward to another couple when Papa gets home.  I think she’ll feel pretty special, just knowing she can officially say she’s four.  And I’ll be sure to give my big girl lots of extra hugs and kisses, too!

10 Responses to “The non-party party”

1. lizcgorman January 29, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

Happy Birthday Jade! I’m sure she’ll have just as much fun at her low key party as she would at some overwhelming event. I hope y’all have a great day!

2. Jenny January 30, 2010 at 4:54 am #

I got Naomi a balloon bouquet last year and she loved that! That was the extent of it. Even though her birthday is in March, it’s not that far away from Christmas and we really don’t need more crap. She’s happy with new books, so that’s probably what we’ll do.
    Also the princess for a day thing… GAG. Seriously! I hate the whole princess thing. I don’t even like the Disney Princess stuff. I think kids are bratty enough now with out letting them think they’re royalty.
    Happy 4th birthday Jade!

3. Marian January 30, 2010 at 5:38 am #

Happy 4th birthday, Jade.
    Lots of love,
    Gran & Buddy

4. Omichen January 30, 2010 at 7:13 am #

for Jade only
    many, many good whishes for you, 4-years-old Jade. How, what a lot of time passed since your birth!! First you are very little, than you grow up, than – at least in two years – it’s the age of going to school. hurra, than you will have a lot of books.

Love you my dear.

5. Megan January 30, 2010 at 9:57 am #

Happy birthday, Jade!

6. Maureen January 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Hi Fawn, and Happy Birthday to Jade.

I am sure you have thought of this or had it suggested to you but… When Michael is back and if you do have a party, why not ask the invited friends to donate money for a charity instead of bringing gifts for Jade. Even 4 year olds can appreciate that there are many children who need our help in this day and age. Just a thought.

I really enjoy reading your blog, and Michael’s too.

Cheers

7. Tine January 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

Best wishes to little (excuse me: BIG !!) Jade – hope things will improve for her (& for all of you, too 🙂 !!), & that you 03 girls will have a great day, even with Michael out of town 😦 !!

Lots of love from Germany !!

♥ ♥ ♥

8. Cristina January 31, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

B’s birthday coincided with his start of the diet. We collected all of his unopened formula, baby foods, biter biscuits, etc. and for his “party” everyone brought lots of carby canned food to deliver to a charity. The donation, especially the baby food, was VERY well received at the center.

I didn’t celebrate B’s 1st birthday because I was so exhausted and he’s a baby! What does he care?! Then we learned that he’d be dead by age 2. I felt SOOOO guilty for not celebrating his first! I’ve celebrated every birthday (and half birthday) since then because he is still here and fighting. 🙂

9. Stacie January 31, 2010 at 9:29 pm #

Happy Birthday Jade!! 🙂

1. The birthday Grinch strikes again (sort of) « Fawnahareo’s Place - January 25, 2011

[…] Last year, I shared with ya’ll how I’m not really into doing great big birthday parties. […]