A few words for you

14 Feb
  • Oh HI there!  Did you come here to actually read something?  Hurrah!  Today you’re in luck!
  • Michael was home for a week.  Plus we had a friend staying with us.  Plus there was all this music-type stuff going on.  So, whew, no time to write!
  • So!  Last Saturday was Jade’s first night without a soother.  I bought a GIANT MONKEY and told her that she could have “Peanut” to cuddle with when she put her last soother in the bag for the Soother Fairy.  It took her from 8 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. to fall asleep.  I spent 10 minutes in bed with her at the beginning and there were a few bouts of crying in between, but finally she did fall asleep, Peanut cuddled on one side, blankie on the other.  And she stayed asleep all night!  The second night was much worse, with lots of crying at bedtime and wanting the Soother Fairy to bring back the soother.  But she fell asleep sooner than Night #1.  And she stayed asleep all night!  In fact, we’ve only had two night-time wakeups this week.  And one was because she had to throw up.  So, I’d say the soother saga is done, and pretty successful.  And hey, what was I so worried about?
  • We’ve also now moved to having just “quiet time” in the afternoons, no napping for Jade.  This gives both her and me a break, and strangely Jade is in a better mood after not napping.  Plus she goes to sleep within 10 minutes of lights-out at night.  Win and win.  Woo hoo!
  • Halia started wanting to be boobed down again at night, so I’ve had to reiterate the sleep training this past week.  Why can’t these kinds of lessons just stay learned, hmmm?
  • Speaking of Halia, she turned 15 months old this past week, and I’ve been meaning to dedicate a post to her.  Jade got her first tooth at 15 months old.  Halia already had, um, eigh and two halves.  And I just noticed today that there are bite marks at both ends of her crib, I kid you not.
  • Last night, the Whitehorse Big Band played at the annual Dessert and Dance, which is a fundraiser for the All-City Concert Band.  In case you don’t know, I play piano and Michael plays bass trombone in this group.  The crowd was amazingly enthusiastic and the energy was fantastic, so it was a fun gig to play.  If you like swing dancing, you wish you’d been there.  I had the compliment of having an older gentleman come up to me at the end of the event and ask why I wasn’t playing more solo parts and that I should really talk to the bandleader and tell him to give me more piano solos.  Haha!  Little does he know that if my life depended on jazz piano improvisation, I’d be deader than a doornail.  But it’s nice to know that a few hours of practicing makes me a pretty good fake.  (And, I’m a lot better than I was when started out my first year with The Big Band, I’ll give myself that much credit.)
  • I’m going to be singing at one of the local pub/hotels in couple of weeks, so I’ve been busy putting together music for the two pianists.  It took me two hours to scotch tape all the music together into useable charts.  That sucked, I won’t lie.  But! I’m really excited about the gig, if a little nervous about whether my voice will hold out for a full hour of singing in a noisy room.
  • I doubt there will be too much going on in my blog reader tonight, since most people are waist-deep in Valentine’s plans tonight.  I am a woman free of such engagements, however, since Michael had to drive to Ross River today to work for the week.  Yes, once upon a time this might have upset me, given that it’s the anniversary of our first date.  But hey, this is what happens when only one person in the family is earning our daily bread and I get to supervise the munchkins full-time.  But, if you’re in the mood for a Valentine’s story, you can go back in time and read about how Michael tricked me into giving him our first kiss.  I’m only bringing it up because Michael completely brought this whole thing back from the dead on Facebook today.
  • Happy Valentine’s day!

15 Responses to “A few words for you”

1. Opa February 15, 2010 at 3:16 am #

Hahaha, I am totally with Michael on that Valentine’s story. His averment is perfectly logical and plausible. But along come sisters and other assorted females and poke holes into a perfectly well laid-out argument with accusations of being “unromantic”. Hummm, how can logic ever win out over accusations of a romanticism deficit. So let’s settle on this, girls: I’d rather have Michael than any of you as the pilot or maintenance mechanic of the airplane I am about to board. But if you girls want to organize the catering, I am perfectly ok if the “chicken or beef” question is supplemented by “would youi like roses or carnations with your meal?”.

2. Jenny February 15, 2010 at 4:54 am #

Happy Valentines day. I totally believe the bite marks on the crib! Naomi’s is the same way!
    My cousin has a little girl a month older than Halia and at Christmas time they’d ask “what do you want for Christmas” and she’s say “money!” It was so cute. I don’t think she understood what it meant, she was just parroting back what someone else taught her! But it was cute!

3. Clare February 15, 2010 at 6:24 am #

I thought I laid waste to this whole “I was tricked” thing?

4. Marian February 15, 2010 at 6:34 am #

Hmmmm…..Opa…a little harsh there!
    Clare, I’m with you. Whatever happened, and I refuse to take sides, I’m happy with the consequences. I’m thrilled Michael, Fawn and the kids are part of my fabulous family!!!!
    Fawn and Michael….have a great belated Valentines’ Day some time soon. I personally don’t like going out on the actual day….restaurants are overpriced and too busy, though I guess your dinner will be cornish hen at home 🙂
    Have a great time at your gig, Fawn. You’ll be great.
    Love Marian/Mom/Gran

5. Meandering Michael February 15, 2010 at 7:53 am #

She’s at it again, guys, proving how “reputable” a source she is for accurate story-telling. Fawn brought up the whole thing again when she posted on facebook

“Fawn F—— Tricked into a first kiss on Valentine’s Day 12 years ago.
    Sat at 09:13 · Comment · Like · View feedback (8)”

I didn’t mention it until I said

“Michael P—— did NOT trick Fawn into kissing him on Valentine’s Day twelve years ago. SHE was the instigator!
    Sat at 10:28 · Comment · Like”

Please note the times.

• fawnahareo February 15, 2010 at 8:31 am #

In fact, I didn’t claim not to have brought it up. I mentioned it. But it was you who brought back the whole debate posting links, etc. 😉

6. fawnahareo February 15, 2010 at 8:34 am #

Oh, and sorry, Clare, but the argument is too fun to lay to waste. 😉 For its edification and for posterity, Clare’s brilliant assessment:

“After carefully reviewing the evidence (and remember I AM a trained investigator and conflict mediator) I have come to a conclusion. Both and neither are guilty. As with any good ‘I said, she/he said’ story, the truth lies somewhere in between the two versions.”

“Both parties were coming off of relationships, and in their minds didn’t want to enter another. But they had an undeniable attraction to each other at the same time (for this I offer the evidence of both the Kiss, and well, their marriage). So while their minds were saying ‘I’m not ready for this’ (Michael by his insistence that this was friends getting together, and inviting her roomates/sister… Fawn by her initial refusal) they couldn’t deny the chemistry. And while neither may have intended the kiss, they both took steps that allowed it to happen.”

“Just a classic example of chemistry trumping the mind….”

“Sorry, our time is up. Same time next week?”

7. Opa February 15, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

Where are you from, Clare? You write so wonderfully Canadian. How’s the saying? “A good Canuck is someone who can sit on the fence and keep both ears to the ground”. Or as Stewart McLean said on the Vinyl Cafe (thanks Fawn): You may meet a “group” of Americans, but you meet “an apology” of Canadians. 🙂 And Marian, I already know where YOU are from, BUT (bicker bicker), I WON’T let you claim them all for yourself.

8. Laurie February 15, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

I have been wondering how Jade was doing without her soothers. I’m glad you let us know. Poor baby. I remember how hard that was for my oldest, and I can only imagine having to give up something that brings you so much comfort. But, there are lots of parts of growing up that are just plain hard, no matter WHAT age you are! There are days I think adults might be better off if we all had a soother like hers!!
    Your valentines day/dating story are funny. We have a similar “argument” over whether our first date was really a date or not. Regardless, here we are 20+ years later…
    Is there any chance of someone taping your singing? I would SO love to hear more. Your Christmas song was gorgeous. Anytime you can put more of your music on here, we’d all benefit.
    Have a good week. Laurie

9. Barbara February 15, 2010 at 7:29 pm #

Sweet!

10. Carole February 15, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

Woo Hoo…Where will you be performing in a couple of weeks?

11. Stacie February 15, 2010 at 9:06 pm #

Yeah where you gonna be singing in town?!?!?!

12. fawnahareo February 15, 2010 at 11:22 pm #

Awww, Laurie, you make my diva’s heart go pitter-pat! 🙂 We don’t have a video recorder, so I’ll have to see if I can find someone to borrow one… oh and a camera person.

Carole and Stacie, I’m going to be singing at The Capital Hotel on February 25th from (yipes!) 10 to 11 p.m. Grant Simpson and Annie Avery will both be on keys, I believe. I have no idea who the heck is going to be out that late on a Thursday night, even if it is the beginning of Rendezvous, but I’m looking forward to it!

13. Rachelle March 2, 2010 at 11:49 am #

Glad to see you are still singing!
    I’m also happy to hear your soother removal has worked well for Jade. She’s a big girl now!
    I’m ramping up to it with Evvy. Evvy’s front teeth are definitely “soother-shaped” and do look kinda funny. She’s been using a non-orthodontic soother since she was 3 months old. My dad (Dr. Al the dentist for those who don’t know) expressed some concerns about her teeth and palate. I trust his 35 years of experience seeing mouths develop! Best to get rid of sucking well before permanent teeth appear, despite the heartbreak!
    But, hey – in a choice between soother or thumb, soother wins! Hard to take a thumb away…

14. Sharleen March 5, 2010 at 7:52 am #

Congrats on your success (and hopefully continued success) with the soother fairy!! What a creative idea!!

The Big Band night sounded so fun!!!