In which Crook makes an appearance

23 Feb

Those of you who have been reading since the early days (or those of you who know me in real life) may be aware that we have a cat who goes by the name of Crook.  Crook is aptly named not only because of his bandit mask, but also because of his propensity for making mischief.  He loves attention, any kind of attention, including the bad kind.  He is affectionate and sweet-tempered, but absolutely incorrigible.

Last week while Michael was away in Ross River, Crook suddenly decided it was time to start doing early-morning wake-up calls.  Jade had a couple of middle-of-the-night wake-ups and of course Halia still wakes two to three times a night, so having Crook yowling at the door (also waking Halia) at 6 a.m. sent me just a little over the edge.

The first morning he did that, I stomped up the stairs, picked him up by the scruff of the neck and threw him out the door.  It’s been very mild out these past few weeks, so there was certainly no danger of his freezing.  But when a cat has nothing on his mind except his food dish, separating his person (ahem) from the object of his desire is punishment enough.

The second morning he woke us early, he saw the angry signs coming at him, but that didn’t save him from having another delayed breakfast.  He even got to watch Nanuq get fed before he was allowed to re-enter the house and be reunited with his food bowl.

The third night, I decided enough was enough.  I put a soft blanket in a basket in the laundry room and moved the dozing cat from the couch into the basket.  Crook’s litter box is in the laundry room, so the door is fitted with a cat flap.  Fortunately, it comes with a removable panel that slides in place so that I could seal it off and keep him shut in for the night.  Or so I thought.

There, I thought.  I may not get a good night’s sleep, but at least you won’t cause any problems.

And he didn’t.

I was very surprised in the morning, though, to find that the solid panel of the cat flap had been completely removed.  I suppose that I should have been prepared for this possibility, given that I have to lock the closet door that secures the dog food, as Crook has been known to open the bi-fold door and help himself.

Crook was waiting at the top of the stairs and started meowing hungrily as soon as he heard us coming up.  I have no doubt that he spent very little time figuring out how to get that sliding panel off the cat door, which means he could have pulled his alarm-clock act again if he’d wanted to.

Which, I guess, means he actually learned a lesson.

Perhaps he isn’t so incorrigible after all.

8 Responses to “In which Crook makes an appearance”

1. Jenny February 24, 2010 at 4:52 am #

That’s funny! It’s amazing how smart animals are. I let a cat in our house when I was in my early teens. My parents protested! They had that cat 15 years! Long after I’d moved out. It slept with them, stayed on my dad’s lap constantly. It was so spoiled. That was what my dad talked about before grandkids 🙂

2. Scientific Chick February 24, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Hehe That’s a great story. My cat, Virus (aka Minou) also likes to give us wake-up calls. Somehow he learned that it doesn’t work until the alarm goes off, so now he waits until he hears the alarm. It’s great, but you can forget about snoozing…

3. Laurie February 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm #

Three words for you: DRY. CAT. FOOD. (In a self-feeder bowl, all the time, blocked out of reach of Halia by a baby cat that Crook can jump over, or crawl under) No more early morning kitty alarms!
    I like my cats very much. I like my dogs more. If either of them woke me before my children, or my alarm, I think I would wring their furry necks. THEY need to live by MY schedule, or, or, well, I would throw them outside and make them wait to be fed! Yeah, I’d teach them THAT lesson! (Poor little Crook!) (Watch out – PETA will be attacking you for cruelty to animals!)
    🙂

• fawnahareo February 24, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

Crook would get WAAAAAY too fat with a self-feeder bowl! Did I mention he’s been known to open the closet door and eat up Nanuq’s food? (Crook’s is kept in plastic bins, but there’s no bin big enough to hold the whole bag of dog food.) Once when we went away for a week, we came back to find that he’d gained two pounds (pretty significant for a cat!) from all the dog food he’d eaten.

Actually, that reminds me. When we first got Crook, he was always stealing Nanuq’s food, which gave him terrible gas. My sister thus suggested we name him “Chinook”… for the warm winds. Ha!

4. Laurie February 24, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

baby GATE – not cat … what WAS I thinking???

5. Captain Momma February 24, 2010 at 7:24 pm #

That’s hilarious!!!!

The things animals do!

6. Sharleen March 5, 2010 at 7:23 am #

I’m generally not a cat fan…. but I do like your very clever Crook!