The Cap recap and the rest of it

2 Mar
I suppose that since even such successful performers such as Donny Osmond, Barbra Streisand, and Sir Laurence Olivier suffered from stage fright, I shouldn’t be ashamed to admit that I spent the better part of Thursday in a state of anxiety.  I’ve had butterflies before, of course, but never this low-level and long-lasting dread untempered by excitement.  I have no idea why I was so scared (well, I did have that head cold to worry about) but I knew I would enjoy myself once things started rolling, and attempted to pretend that I didn’t feel like just lying down and whimpering.

Singing at The Capital, Feb 25th, 2010Fortunately, getting to The Capital an hour early and listening to Grant Simpson and Annie Avery facing off on two grand pianos was so fun it turned out to be very calming.  Also, Michael was there along with a quite a few friends, and it was bracing to know that people had come out just to cheer me on.

Anyway, to make a long navel-gazing story a little shorter, I did have fun and my voice didn’t give out and the set went well.  Performing with Grant and Annie is awesome because they are both so laid back, it takes off a lot of pressure.

There are things about my performance that I want to work on (like a modicum of showmanship between tunes, for example) but I feel happy about making a good start.  Plus a few musicians I really admire and respect have suggested getting together, which is one of the best compliments I can think of.

couple of you have asked about video clips from Thursday night.  A friend of mine loaned us his video camera, but I have no idea yet whether any of the footage (or sound!) turned out, since I handed the camera right back to him after the gig, having no idea how to get stuff off the tape and onto a computer.

The rest of the crazy weekend went fine, too.  I think everyone in the Big Band sighed with relief after finishing up on Saturday night.  Performing three full sets two nights in a row sucks up a lot of energy!  As for Nanuq, he was very well behaved on the festival grounds (a challenging environment, with so many strange dogs — not to mention strange people! — crowding around) and he even managed to capture second place in the dog-howling competition.

I’d say that made it a successful weekend for the whole household.

On Sunday, Michael left afternoon for Beaver Creek, Canada’s most westerly community.  (This meant he had to miss watching the end of the historic Canada-USA gold-medal Olympic hockey game.  As a rule, I never watch hockey, but I watched this game.  And, oh man!  What a game!)  He has to fit in a trip to Old Crow before the end of the month, but then he will be done with travelling for a little while  (Hooray!)

Do you suppose at that point I’ll be able to take a little breather?  Or do you think that maybe life will just keep happening?

Yeah, that’s what I thought, too. 🙂

11 Responses to “The Cap recap and the rest of it”

1. Susan H. March 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm #

Congratulations Fawn,
    I hope you can let us all hear your songs via the
    video tape. Obviously your efforts were appreciated. It’s
    very telling when other musicians ask you to get together
    with them.

2. Captain Momma March 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

Hot Mama! You look great in that photo! (and I mean that in the best way possible 🙂

It’ll be nice to have Michael done with travelling for a bit!!

Good job Nanuq and I can’t wait to see/hear some footage!!

3. Nai-Nai March 3, 2010 at 12:47 am #

Congratulation Fawny, I’d like to hear it too. If you can sent me a tape, I can transfer it to dvd or cd.

4. Omichen March 3, 2010 at 4:47 am #

félicitations, Fawny. Je regarde tous les jours si tu as écrit quelque chose dans ton “blog”. Parfois, tout de même, je bénis ce sacré ordinateur, malgré qu’il ne me donne des fois des crises de nerfs.
    Je vous embrasse tous
    Omichen

5. Meandering Michael March 3, 2010 at 10:58 am #

My wife is hot.

6. Laurie March 3, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

Awwww, what a great husband!

7. Carole March 3, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

Fawn,
    You looked and sounded great! As I said that night, I love the fact that you have your own style when you sing, and you have a wonderful stage presence too. It was absolutely amazing!

8. Stacie March 3, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

I wish I was there, but will definitely be at the next gig… when is it?!?! 🙂

9. Winluck March 4, 2010 at 9:35 am #

I’m positive you did fabulous at the performance 😀 And yes, that was one of the most intense hockey games ever!! I couldn’t even sit properly on my friend’s reclining couch – I’m pretty sure it’s not designed for people to perch nervously on its edge.

10. Sharleen March 5, 2010 at 7:40 am #

You look amazing! Sounds like you had a very fun night! Congrats on your performance!!

1. Black Coffee « Fawnahareo’s Place - November 19, 2010

[…] it.  You know you want to!) And tonight I thought I would upload, at long last, a short clip from my gig at The Capital Hotel way back in February.  But Facebook wouldn’t let me upload the darn thing, so I’m posting it here, […]