Danny Boy, 2004

17 Mar

I got the video back from my night at The Capital.  Michael was away the first time I watched it and I confess that I was rather aghast; some of the moments I remembered being really great sounded, well… downright awful on the film.  When Michael got home we watched a few minutes together and he confirmed that there is a lot missing in the sound.    Hey, there’s only so much you can ask of the microphone on a little camera.  But what a relief to know it wasn’t just in my head!

I’m still really happy to have the video because despite the limitations in the sound, it is still educational to watch myself perform, see how I move, catch some of the mistakes I made, pay closer attention to the two pianists, and so on.  I may still be able to salvage a clip or two for you, but I’ll need a bit of time to experiment.

In the meantime, I remembered that there was some other video of me performing that I’ve never shared here.  Back in 2004 (wow, a time before blog!) Michael convinced me to participate in a “North of 60 Idol” competition organized by the Royal Canadian Legion in Yellowknife.  I thought he was nuts, since Yellowknife was a 9-hour drive from our home in Fort Liard and competing would mean travelling there four times in the course of eight weeks.  He persuaded me in the end,  telling me that I could win us the honeymoon trip we’d never had, since first place was a trip for two to Disneyland.  (I thought this was hilarious; Michael’s not a Disney fan and he’d never have chosen it as a honeymoon destination.  But I’m a Disney fan, so hey.)

This video is from the fourth and final night of the competition, when the Legion brought in some professional equipment to film it.  Each of the finalists performed two songs;  I did “Danny Boy” and “On My Own” (from Les Miserables).  How fitting is it to post Danny Boy on St. Patrick’s Day?

So Happy Paddy’s Day to all ye who celebrate it.  I think I’ll go make myself a cup of green tea since it’s the girls’ quiet time.  And maybe I’ll go dig out those pictures of our trip to Disneyland…

(Also: happy birthday, Opa!)

13 Responses to “Danny Boy, 2004”

1. Opa March 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

Thanks kiddo, you have such incredible talent. I turn into a pile of jelly when I see you up on that stage. Love and hugs.

• fawnahareo March 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

Pile of jelly? I think you’re getting soft in your *cough, cough* old age, dad.😉 (Oh, and… thanks!)

2. Carole March 17, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Hi Fawn,

You sounded as good at the Cap as you did on this video. Don’t let the equipment fool ya!

• fawnahareo March 17, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Thanks, Carole. Funny how we can be so critical of ourselves, hunh? There are things I can nitpick on this performance, too, but I’m not a robot after all, and sometimes little imperfections are the stuff that makes a performance human. Anyway, I figure no one wants to hear me complain about myself when even I know I did a good job here.🙂

3. Clare March 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

Very nice, and Danny Boy is a very difficult song. I like how you subtly let us know you won the competition also. Very sneaky.

4. Jenny March 18, 2010 at 2:54 am #

Well…. you’re no Muppett🙂 LOL! very nice!

5. Murray March 18, 2010 at 6:46 am #

All I can say is “Wow!!” We’ll have to get down to The Cap next time🙂

6. Scientific Chick March 18, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

Wow, Fawn, that was beautiful, you have an amazing voice! If you were closer I’d recruit you for our community choir…

7. Captain Momma March 18, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

As soon as we moved the computer the speakers ceased to work😦 I can’t hear a thing, darn it but I am sure it sounded fantastic!

8. Adrienne March 19, 2010 at 5:45 am #

Thanks so much for posting this! It is like a little visit. Sweetie, I miss you!!! How is it possible that you became even MORE beautiful and talented in the past 10 years (omg – 10 years!)!

9. Janet March 20, 2010 at 7:08 am #

That was friggin’ amazing! I’m so sorry I didn’t have a chance to see you at the Capital.

10. Barbara March 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

I sure enjoyed that! I can see, er, hear, why you won!

1. On my own « Fawnahareo’s Place - March 28, 2010

[…] the video of “On My Own” up here; this was the second song from the final night of the North of 60 Idol competition from way back in 2004.  Hope you […]