Siren song

23 Mar

Yesterday I almost burned the bottom off another pot.

On the eastern bank of the Rhine river lies a rock called the Lorelei.  It is the focus of a legend of a maiden who lured sailors to their doom by enchanting them with song,  much like the sirens in Greek mythology.  The romance of this tale was the main reason “Lorelei” made my list of girl names before Jade was born.  But Michael vetoed it.

I have no regrets, but still it seems I may have had good reason to have named her so.

I was chopping onions when I was lured into the living room because of this:

Moments later, I smelled burning and suddenly remembered that I’d left a pot containing only melting coconut oil on the hot burner.  Thank goodness refined coconut oil has a high burning point.  The wooden spoon I left in there was, um, just a little bit black, and there was, er, just a wee bit of smoke in the kitchen.

But what can you do when you live with an enchantress?

11 Responses to “Siren song”

1. Nai-Nai March 24, 2010 at 12:29 am #

Bravo Jade! I am so happy to watch it. Love you all

2. Omichen March 24, 2010 at 2:00 am #

fawny, fawny, don’t you have a “smoke”Melder” in your kitchen? Does it sleep while you were listening at the song of your daughter? good, good, Jade! Love you Omi

3. Opa March 24, 2010 at 2:46 am #

Nice going, Jade. And not so bad, your daddy vetoed Lorelei. I do love that name myself, but is is a bit like Cassandra – sounds nice and poetic, but is really quite risqué when one knows the real story. Or how about Alexandra – that one might be getting politically correct these days. Your great-grandfather, a scholar of classical Greek, says the name Alexander means someone who overcomes men – as the great warrior Alexander. So you can imagine what Alexandra would be – an appellation to take part in the class struggle of the genders. Oh for the pitfalls of naming babies.

4. Kara March 24, 2010 at 5:46 am #

She is taking after you, Fawn! I had to laugh when she gets to the little boy part because it sounds like she says he lives down the drain.

• fawnahareo March 24, 2010 at 8:04 am #

I believe she actually sings that the little boy “lives down the dame”! But drain makes slightly more sense. 🙂

5. Mike March 24, 2010 at 6:05 am #

Süß! Noch ein wenig weiter und ihr könnt Duett singen. Michael hatte recht. Zum Töpfe anbrennen braucht man keine Lorelei, nur den Küchenwecker vergessen mitzunehmen und ein gutes Buch. So wie ich letzte Woche, als ich Reis kochen wollte.

6. allmycke March 24, 2010 at 8:18 am #

How sweet she is!

7. tammy March 24, 2010 at 8:27 am #

What a cutie!!!

8. Adventures In Babywearing March 25, 2010 at 7:02 am #

Awww! And close call!

Steph

9. Idania March 29, 2010 at 8:21 pm #

That was *so* cute! I’d have that on permanent replay at my house!

1. Fawnahareo’s Place - December 31, 2010