On my own

28 Mar

I’ve been thinking a lot lately.  Thinking about things like the difficulty of making new friends when nobody seems to have time to spend time with new people.  And about the pros and cons of different back-to-work arrangements.  And about the boundaries of being open versus over-sharing.  And about writing new music.  And about the comedy and tragedy of multiple diaper blow-outs.  And, oh, you know, stuff.

Some of this stuff would make for some good meaty blog posts, but I just don’t seem to have the energy to hash it out.  I’ll get through it eventually, though, I promise.

This past Thursday was Amanda’s last day working with our family, as she left Whitehorse on Friday to go to school in Vancouver.  She’d been with us for almost an entire year.  She witnessed a miraculous transformation in Jade and helped us find our footing in life again.  She became a dear, sweet friend and I already miss having her around.

We are just starting the process of trying to hire another helper.  Our funding agreement has changed so we’ll be getting fewer hours of support, but that’s fine because Jade no longer requires supervision every minute of the day.  I’m trying to stay very disciplined about tidying and doing dishes every evening so that things don’t get too out of hand — one reason for the lack of energy when it comes to all things bloggy.  (Michael’s home, but super busy getting work done right now, since it’s government year-end.)

So, since I’m going to be on my own (with the kids, of course) for at least a few weeks and I don’t have the wherewithal to write anything that requires thought and careful wording, I’m throwing the video of “On My Own” up here; this was the second song from the final night of the North of 60 Idol competition from way back in 2004.  Hope you enjoy.

10 Responses to “On my own”

1. Lindsay March 29, 2010 at 4:03 am #

The kids LOVED watching this. Can we hear Aunt Fawn again?!

2. Murray March 29, 2010 at 9:51 am #

This is the time of year when most people seem to be doing a lot deep-thinking, and a lot of it isn’t particularly positive. Thanks for the song – a little bright spot on this dull day🙂

3. Susan H. March 29, 2010 at 10:07 am #

Beautifully sung, Fawn.

4. Opa March 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

What’s all this hype about Michael Jackson and Madonna? Bunch of stumbling amateurs compared to this performance!

5. Idania March 29, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

You’re a natural hon! I’m glad you get to pursue something you enjoy!

6. Captain Momma March 30, 2010 at 3:52 pm #

Good luck with the hiring process, that would be hard losing someone you had for so long and had become such a good friend!

I hear you about the posts. Spring fever has gotten to me and I’m itching to drive. Drive a long ways away and see new sites. But then when I’m done I would like to be teleported back and not have to drive back🙂

Hugs!

7. Barbara March 31, 2010 at 5:03 am #

Of course, we enjoy!

8. Sharleen March 31, 2010 at 5:57 am #

Wow Amazing Fawn!! I hope you are able to find someone who fits in as well with you family. Sharl

9. Tine April 3, 2010 at 12:27 am #

Great sung (as always !!), Süße🙂 !!

I’m sorry to hear about Amanda😦 , since I know she was a huge help for you (& he girls loved her, too) … Good luck finding someone new that fits so well with your family !!

Happy Easter from Germany !!

♥ ♥ ♥

10. Cristina April 6, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

Bertrand loved watching you sing! And, as always, I am awed by how talented you are! 🙂

I’ve been hitting the bloggy rough patch myself, but I hope that spring brings us both more energy for all things home, blog and other. Hugs!