Overflowing

19 Apr

I do a lot of thinking when I’m putting Halia down for her naps, and as I rocked her and nursed her yesterday, I thought about the difference between the saying, “My plate is too full” and “My cup runneth over”.  Two different pieces of crockery overflowing, and too such different meanings.

Lately I’ve certainly been feeling that my plate is too full, but there are things that are making my cup run over, too.  (And I’m not talking about my bra size, here.)

Things that are making life too busy:

• Amanda has now been away for three weeks (what? has it only been three weeks?!?) and we are in the process of hiring a new helper
  • Multiple Big Band gigs, meaning extra practice time for me, and coordinating childcare
  • Paperwork due for the funding that allows us to have a helper in the home on top of taxes being due on top of half a year’s worth of filing to do
  • Michael’s still doing all sorts of out-of-town work
  • Making back-to-work arrangements (more on that another time)

Things that are making me happy:

• Halia and Jade are learning to play better together and make me laugh every day.
  • Halia can actually sing “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” now — not with words, but the tune is recognizable.  I’m pretty impressed!  She won’t do it for the camera, though.
  • I’ve rediscovered jewellery-making!  If you have the materials on-hand, a pair of earrings can be made in less than 5 minutes, so I’ve made about 15 new pairs in the last couple of weeks.
  • The weather is warming up.  Today my thermometer read almost 25 °’C and a lot of snow seems to have simply evaporated, leaving our front lawn greenish.  We’ve had beautiful sunny weather for the past two weeks, and it’s amazing what an emotional boost it is.

I could let myself get totally overwhelmed by all the work it takes just to feed this darned family, let alone keep it clean, washed, and entertained, but I’m (mostly) choosing to focus on the sunny side.

So tell me, what’s making you happy these days?

8 Responses to “Overflowing”

1. Cristina April 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm #

The weather *is* a huge emotional boost, and seeing how far Bertrand has come since this time last year. 🙂 Watching kids grow is way more fun than gardening! It’s so cute that Halia is following in her talented Mama’s foot steps! One can always use another musician/artist/all-around-creative-type in the family. 🙂

2. Opa April 19, 2010 at 11:38 pm #

Fawn being happy

3. Kara April 20, 2010 at 5:26 am #

Half a year of filing? Fantastic job on the procrastination! 😉

Making me happy? So many things! Weather, weight loss, huge tax return, watching my boys play together outside…. I could go on and on. I am pretty happy lately!

4. Heather April 20, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

When the pee or the poop hits the potty (BOTH girls are sitting on the potties right NOW! YAHOOOOOOO) I smile :)!!
    When my girls giggle outof control (together with out a parent) I melt!!
    The sun goes a long way to put a spring-in-my-step too, these days🙂

5. Marian April 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

Family🙂

6. Captain Momma April 20, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

I hear you on the work it takes to feed the family with food issues! Gah!

The SUN has made a huge difference and the snow is gone and DH is home🙂

Blessings!

7. Tine April 22, 2010 at 1:49 am #

I’m staying home from work with a hurt foot these days😦 – so anything that eases the pain is making me happy🙂 … AND being able to sleep in for once🙂 !!

Also, we’ve had great, warm, sunny spring weather over here the past weeks🙂 – just wonderful !!

8. Marianne April 23, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

The new baby due to arrive in early November and make us a family of four.🙂