I do a lot of thinking when I’m putting Halia down for her naps, and as I rocked her and nursed her yesterday, I thought about the difference between the saying, “My plate is too full” and “My cup runneth over”. Two different pieces of crockery overflowing, and too such different meanings.
Lately I’ve certainly been feeling that my plate is too full, but there are things that are making my cup run over, too. (And I’m not talking about my bra size, here.)
Things that are making life too busy:
- Amanda has now been away for three weeks (what? has it only been three weeks?!?) and we are in the process of hiring a new helper
- Multiple Big Band gigs, meaning extra practice time for me, and coordinating childcare
- Paperwork due for the funding that allows us to have a helper in the home on top of taxes being due on top of half a year’s worth of filing to do
- Michael’s still doing all sorts of out-of-town work
- Making back-to-work arrangements (more on that another time)
Things that are making me happy:
- Halia and Jade are learning to play better together and make me laugh every day.
- Halia can actually sing “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” now — not with words, but the tune is recognizable. I’m pretty impressed! She won’t do it for the camera, though.
- I’ve rediscovered jewellery-making! If you have the materials on-hand, a pair of earrings can be made in less than 5 minutes, so I’ve made about 15 new pairs in the last couple of weeks.
- The weather is warming up. Today my thermometer read almost 25 °’C and a lot of snow seems to have simply evaporated, leaving our front lawn greenish. We’ve had beautiful sunny weather for the past two weeks, and it’s amazing what an emotional boost it is.
I could let myself get totally overwhelmed by all the work it takes just to feed this darned family, let alone keep it clean, washed, and entertained, but I’m (mostly) choosing to focus on the sunny side.
So tell me, what’s making you happy these days?