I’ve been so caught up in year-end paperwork that I almost missed this important date. Five years ago today, I wrote my first blog post.
Excuse me? FIVE years? How is that possible? It almost makes me feel old.
In the back of my mind, I had thought about having a blog party, but considering the day’s almost over, it’s a bit late for that. So how about a glance at the highlights, instead?
- April 22. 2005: I make my first blog post called “A piece of cakewalk“
- May 2005: I blog about our decision to move from Fort Liard, NWT to Whitehorse, Yukon
- June 2005: I reveal that we are expecting our first baby
- February 2006: Jade’s birth story and the first few babymoon days
- September 2006: Michael’s Granny and Pop come to visit and we discover that Jade has a hernia and that Granny has a brain tumour
- January 2007: I get interested in midwifery and advocacy and return to work
- October 2007: We find out I’m pregnant again!
- November 2007: We travel to Mexico for my sister’s wedding and then face having a miscarriage
- January 2008: I move from Live Spaces to WordPress and we experience the coldest temperatures I’ve ever seen
- March 2008: I’m pregnant again but afraid to celebrate
- May 2008: Jade has her first seizure
- October 2008: Jade starts the ketogenic diet in Vancouver (and I get a kidney stone)
- November 2008: Halia (aka “Nugget” is born! (And is finally named after a week)
- April 2009: Amanda joins our family and Jade experiences seizure-freedom for the first time in many months
- July 2009: Halia and I travel to Germany together
- January 2010: Jade has a 24-hour EEG
There’s so much that happened in between blog posts that never got written about, but life is messy and there isn’t time to record everything. It’s been a magnificent journey, with many new friends made along the way.
Now it is well past midnight and well past my bedtime — Halia kept waking up. And there she goes again… well, I suppose nursing a wakeful toddler is one way to celebrate the many changes wrought over the past five years. (Coooooming, Halia!)