What I did

5 May

Well, I certainly made the most of my three “days off” while Michael and Jade were in Vancouver.  Other than the nap I took immediately after making that post (oh yes, I did!) I didn’t get much sleep, staying up until 1 a.m. every night.  But how could I sleep where there was so much delightful stuff to do?!

Wednesday and Thursday were dedicated to sewing projects.  In the past few months, I’ve become addicted to shopping at the Salvation Army thrift store and Sequels (one of the local consignment stores).  After I lost 15 lbs following Michael’s new allergy-free diet, I couldn’t justify buying a whole new wardrobe of new clothes, but I’ve been able to revamp by going with used stuff.  I love it!

More recently, I’ve become addicted to a blog called New Dress a Day; Marisa has vowed to spend no money on clothes in clothing stores for a whole year, but yet is wearing something “new” every day by making things out of garage sale/thrift store finds.  (And her budget is just a dollar a day!  LA must have some crazy awesome thrift stores.)

With this new blog addiction as inspiration, my last Sally Ann trip included buying a few pieces that I normally would have ignored.

My first sewing project was not a Salvation Army piece, nor was it clothing, but it was inspired by the same thrifting mindset.  I had bought two 8 kg bags of rice that I emptied into bins in my pantry, but thought it was a shame to throw out the perfectly good bags.  So I turned them into totes.  Thusly:

I just love the colourful rooster!

Next I tackled a skirt that I bought for $5.75.  I loved the fabric, which was sheer, mostly red, with golden flecks throughout, and there was a lot of material, making a lovely full skirt, but I am so not into the long, broomsticky skirts.  Here’s the before:

Am I the only one that finds this type of skirt always dips in the front and is shorter in the back (because I actually posses a butt)?  Anyway, to fix this one up, I got out a pair of sewing shears and snippy-snippy-snipped off the bottom.  Oopsy!  I didn’t realize that after the weight of the fabric came off, the remainder would sort of bounce up a bit and suddenly this thing was way too short.  In order to save it, I took the material I cut off, gathered it, and sewed it back onto the liner, making it a tiered skirt, like so:

Much better!  (Those shoes, by the way, are super-cute wedge heels I got at Sequels.  They were $20 and I got them for free because I had over $20 in my account from selling old suits and dresses that didn’t fit me anymore.  Score!)

My last project was this pair of hot pink granny pants that I had to have because of the fabulous colour.

Too big in the hips?  Check!  Much too loose elastic waist? Check!  Excess crotch fabric?   Check, check, and check!

I’ve never sewn pants before because I was always scared about fitting the pieces together.  But at $3.75, if I failed on these, it wasn’t a huge financial loss.  I started by snipping off the waist elastic, and then taking in all the seams.   Then I chopped off the bottoms of the legs to turn them into the capris I had envisioned.  Then I swore a lot as I tried to figure out my sewing machine’s blind-stitch function.  I added a drawstring waist using some grommets I had lying in my sewing kit, although with the custom-fitted seams, the drawstring doesn’t do much.

Michael is anti-pink, so he doesn’t appreciate the final result, but I’m looking forward to wearing these when the weather warms up a touch more:

After all that sewing, I spent Friday cleaning house so that I could have a music party that night.  I know it sounds terrible to have a party while the hubby is out of town, but really it was just a laid-back music jam, a weekly event we’re trying to get started up here in Whitehorse, with someone different hosting every Friday.  We can’t really host at our house when Jade is home because the music room is directly above her bedroom and sleep-deprivation is really bad for her.  Halia, on the other hand, can sleep through almost anything, and she proved it by sleeping right through the fiddling, accordion, upright bass, banjo, multiple guitar, piano, belting, and foot-stomping din we all made.

I actually managed to cram in lots of outdoors time, sushi, and plenty of one-on-one quality time with Halia in those three days, as well.  It wasn’t exactly restful, but I think I’m too Type A for that.  It was… really good.  And let’s just leave it at that.

15 Responses to “What I did”

1. Opa May 5, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

Halia is getting to be quite an adept photographer.

2. MFA Mama May 6, 2010 at 7:08 am #

You’re so CRAFTY! I love it, all of it, love the rooster, LOVE the made-over skirt on you (and those shoes–SO cute!), and the capris are indeed fabulous. You’re making me wish I was better at sewing…hmm…

3. Catrina May 6, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

I’m AMAZED by your sewing ability. My best is button replacement😉 Those capris are super cute.

4. Lindsay May 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

I really like the pants – super cute!! Great job on everything!

5. Ainsley May 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

The Granny Pants made me laugh, and I love the skirt!!

6. Carole May 6, 2010 at 8:59 pm #

Wow, wow, and wow!

7. Captain Momma May 7, 2010 at 12:16 am #

A) you look fantastic

B) great job on the sewing! I’m so into those capris!!

8. Cristina May 7, 2010 at 8:14 am #

OMG! The granny pant transformation is AMAZING! Tell Michael I think they rock. 🙂

As always, your many talents blow me away! 🙂

9. Jenny May 7, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

there’s a blog called make it and love it that shows all kinds of neat projects too. Cute work!

10. Jackie S. Quire May 8, 2010 at 8:39 am #

I really like the layered look of the skirt. I think I probably would have been “meh” about it if it was just a straight skirt, but doubled-up it looks really cute.
    There’s a series of wrap skirts that are making their way across Canada right now that look very much like what you made.

11. Bubblybunny May 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

Great job on both skirt and pants. Super cute! I wish I could sew like that. Actually, I wish I have the drive to finish old projects I’ve started. 😛

12. Christiane May 10, 2010 at 6:36 am #

Love the end result of the capris! Super cute. I have to say, the black shirt does much more for them than the yellow one in the original picture🙂

13. Erin May 16, 2010 at 12:23 am #

I love the pants! I totally hated sewing, but if I knew how I could make many fashionable clothes for my uh…whale-sized body. And I agree about long skirts -they do seem longer in the front and shorter in the back. Anyway, great job on the sewing projects!

1. And after « Fawnahareo’s Place - July 22, 2010

[…] I’ve also got this new hobby that rears its head ferociously on occasion.  Back in May I blogged about how I’ve started upcycling things I’d found at the Salvation Army, inspired by Marisa at New Dress a Day.  After those first […]

2. Fawnahareo’s Place - December 31, 2010

[…] new sewing/upcycling hobby resulted in some fun new-again clothes for a slimmed-down me: Part I and Part […]