Once upon a potty dreary

7 May

…and, oh yes, I’m weak and weary.

If there’s one thing a mommyblog is supposed to bring up, it’s potty training.  I have brought it up before, but not in a long time.  Because Jade is four.  And no, she’s not yet trained.

I never thought I’d have a non-toilet-trained four-year-old.  I think I bought our first potty just before Jade turned one, for goodness sakes.  But there you have it.

We’ve made intermittent attempts, but they often fizzled out when the successes were so few and far between.  We have enough battles to fight on a daily basis without adding sit-on-the-potty-every-15-to-30-minutes to the list.  And since Jade turned four, whenever I offered, “Hey!  You wanna sit on the potty for a few minutes and we’ll read a story?” she would respond with a heartfelt, “No!” and I wasn’t about to start a war over it.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I decided to make Jade a chart and offer her a sticker not only for every potty success, but for every time she sat on the potty.  I didn’t make a big deal out of it; I just thought I’d try it to see if she would stop being so adamant about not sitting on the potty.   And she totally went for it.  She also got to have an extra Care Bear sticker if she actually had a potty success.  We also went out an bought new panties that she was very excited about.  I think she’s accumulated six or seven Care Bears now, so I’ve been pleased and thinking we’re finally on our way.

These last few days, though, there has been a marked lack of enthusiasm.  Several times we’ve had accidents right after she insisted she didn’t have to go or right after she got off the pot.  When I asked her this evening why she didn’t go on the potty when I suggested it, she said, “Because I didn’t want to”.  And when I asked, “But do you like having wet pants?” she said, “Yes.”  Argh.

There’s a load of laundry in the dryer that is made up mostly of her pants.  I don’t know if I have the energy to keep this up.  But she’s four.  I know she has global developmental delays, and all the child-development experts we know tell me not to get stressed out about it and not to put too much pressure on it, it’ll come.  I’m torn between switching to Pull-Ups for a few days to give myself a break and just sucking it up to stay consistent.

The funniest part is that Halia, now almost 18 months, loves it when I let her go diaperless and she loves to sit on the potty (for 20 seconds or so) in imitation of her big sister.  Looks like I might be training two kids this summer.  Oh, the puddles I’ll clean.  But if I can have them both out of diapers by fall, I sure won’t complain about that.

*sigh*

9 Responses to “Once upon a potty dreary”

1. Nemmy May 8, 2010 at 7:36 am #

I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t be giggling but… I can’t help loving how she says she LIKES having wet pants. Clever little vixen…

2. Jenny May 8, 2010 at 7:37 am #

Mine will sit on the potty forever! She can suck down a drink at 8:30 pm, not pee all night, get her up sit her on the potty and she’ll sit there forever and not go. Once she went and shoved both hands in the stream of urine and flipped her hands back and forth! UGH! She doesn’t get it yet. I wonder how she can pee all night, sit on the potty and NOT pee! I guess her bladder hasn’t been beaten and battered by giving birth to 2 big babies though 🙂

3. Mike May 8, 2010 at 7:51 am #

Ist ein potty ein Töpfchen? Sonst probiere es doch mal mit einem Sitz(das ist so ein Plastikring) für eine richtige Toilette, der die Öffnung nur etwas kindgerechter macht? Das waren unsere recht angetan von.Ich stimme Nemmy zu, der Spruch von Jade ist süß!, wenn auch nicht für gestresste Mütter.

4. Captain Momma May 8, 2010 at 7:51 pm #

Oh man, that sucks when they answer back the answer you don’t want to hear :S

Hugs to you Momma, I’ll be there in 6-12 mths. Now THAT makes me want to cry more than her 1st bday coming up 😦

5. Cristina May 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm #

Hehehe. I am with Nemmy on this one. Clever girl! 🙂

Every child is different. My friend keeps complaining about her 2.5 year-old son who can READ, knows all the countries on the globe, all 50 states and capitals, but can’t use the potty. You can guess what I think about that.

6. MommyTime May 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

Ugh. I’m sorry. I remember those struggles with my son. Good luck, friend.

And as for your previous post? I’m so impressed with the alterations. Nicely done. And congratulations on looking so svelte in the new clothes too!

7. Adventures In Babywearing May 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

I was worried Ivy would be trained before Gray! (He’s four and doing much better. Not complete, but mostly!)

Steph

8. Marie May 17, 2010 at 2:56 am #

Hi Fawn,

I’ve been away for a while as I have been down a laptop…anyway…
    We were concerned about Gracie and her potty training. At one point she was trained and close to making it through the night dry. However, enter several illnesses, a few hospitalizations, the start of the keto diet and many seizures, she lost whatever control she had. I was very worried. The neurology team at Gracie’s hospital assured me that there was nothing wrong with her and if she needed help,that could be provided – when she was FIVE. They do not consider it a big deal until a child turns 5 and is not potty trained. I was amazed at that. That was about a year ago (and Grace was 3) and Grace is doing better now. (And she doesn’t seem to mind wet panties either – argh!)
    Good luck with that!!
    Marie

9. Aida May 21, 2010 at 9:28 am #

we didnt make it a big deal, no stickers,rewards, etc and i just take them on the potty like its 2nd nature, know what i mean. when i was training them, i take sit them on the potty every 45 minutes and gave them a book or a magazine and after 5 – 10 minutes, i will go check. we dont have the small potty, just a seat that goes over the toilet.

good luck! its hard not to fret but i dont think there is a child that goes to high school wearing a diaper 🙂