Where in the world is Fawn?

16 Aug

My Oma berated me for neglecting my bloggy duties.  Oops!  I have been dropping that ball quite a bit this summer, haven’t I?

Highlights for the last few weeks:

• Visiting with Gran and Buddy (Michael’s parents)
  • Playing tourist in our own town by visiting the Beringia Centre, the S.S. Klondike (as documented by Michael), and the Takhini Hotsprings
  • Sailing on Atlin Lake (check out Michael’s picture-ful posts of Day 1, Day 2, Day 2 continued, Day 3, and Day 4)
  • Letting Jade ride our neighbour’s horse, which she took to like a duck to water.  Everyone exclaimed that she was so comfortable on Rocky, it was clear she is destined to be a rider.  I wish I weren’t so darned allergic to them.  (Horses, that is, not riders.)
  • Lots of musical activity, including playing at Arts in the Park twice.  The second time at Arts in the Park I was part of the finale show, which was broadcast on CBC radio, which was exciting and terrifying all at the same time.
  • Having a girlie morning with my mother-in-law getting pedicures
  • Trying to mentally prepare myself for returning to work which starts… tomorrow!  Ack!

As you can see, Michael has been blogging, and I have not.  However, somebody has to do the dishes.  Plus Marian and I were too busy visiting with each other while Michael and his dad worked away on their respective computers.

I had to take Gran and Buddy to the airport today after what seemed like and all-too-short visit.  (I must insert here that I completely lucked out when it comes to in-laws.  I love Michael’s family!)  They were flying out on the very aircraft that brought up four more visiting family members: my aunt, uncle, and two cousins from Germany.

I am so happy that these guys have tacked on a few extra days to their three-week holiday in the US of A just to visit me.  I also find myself at a loss to explain to them why I love living here.  They’re bewildered as to why so many Germans come to the Yukon every summer and wonder what the heck there is to do around here, anyway.  How can anyone stand to live so far away from everything?  (Just what exactly is the “everything” that is missing?)

Of course, the stuff that you do when you live here is not necessarily the same as the stuff that you do when you are a tourist, and the answers get all jumbled up in my mind.  But either way, I truly cannot comprehend the idea of being bored in Whitehorse.  I know I’m a bit of a Debbie Domestic these days, what with cooking, sewing, dog-walking, child-rearing, and some flirtations with gardening, and that might not be everyone’s cup of tea.  But, the music scene here is amazing.  Okay, not everyone loves jazz as I do, but there’s also folk, rock, country, classical, and hip-hop, just to name a few.  We have belly-dancing.  We have breakdancing.  We have roller derby.  We have a kick-ass recreation centre with swimming, yoga, soccer, hockey, skating, volleyball, and Lord knows what else.  It’s true that we don’t have a Princess of Wales Theatre, but there is theatre and there is film, with some pretty awesome cutting-edge stuff happening.  We have artists and artisans galore.  And history.  And culture.  And community.  (Okay, so that’s not something to do, per se, but I’m reeling myself in from a full-on lecture here.  And I haven’t even mentioned the hiking or other “bush” activities.)

Anyway, I’ve got two days to show them what the Germans, Austrians, Swiss, and Japanese flock here to see every summer.  Just a whiff, if not a taste, of Yukon life.  In between some good old-fashioned visiting, of course.

Oh, right, and that going-back-to-work thing.

9 Responses to “Where in the world is Fawn?”

1. Cristina August 17, 2010 at 8:38 am #

Sounds like a perfect summer so far to me! Soon enough it’ll be cold and dark and you’ll have plenty of time to catch up on blogging. No need to feel guilty. 🙂 Enjoy the sunshine and company while you can! 🙂

PS – I am a big city girl now living in Salt Lake City and none of my old friends can understand why I love it either. Their loss. 😉

2. Tine August 17, 2010 at 9:34 am #

Good luck going back to work – having just started 02 new jobs myself (with which I’m truly blessed, it looks like🙂 – although all those changes I’m just going through sure are a strain on my nerves, too !!), I know excactly how you feel (“How in the world am I supposed to handle this on top of everything else ?!”) … Hope you’ll get adjusted to everything real soon🙂 !!

Have a great time visiting with your relatives, too – I’m sure by the end of their visit they won’t find Whitehorse that boring anymore🙂 !!

Lots of love from Germany !!

♥ ♥ ♥

3. Marian August 17, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Hi Fawn. We’re home after the overnight trip😦
    Thanks for everything. We had a great time. Don’t know how people can’t fall in love with the north, its scenery and its people. Hopefully by the time your family leaves, they’ll understand what a great place it is.
    We had such a good time sailing, hiking…and driving the Dempster, but best of all was family time with the four of you.
    As for dishes…..my hands will never be the same! I need a manicure now🙂
    I’m sure you’ll enjoy “adult time” back at work, and two days a week is manageable.
    Hope we’ll see you again soon, and thanks again.
    Lots of love. Miss you guys already.

4. Marianne Fritzen August 18, 2010 at 7:12 am #

danke, Fawny für die vielen news. Ich habe mit Sehnsucht die wunderschönen Fotos in Michaels blog gesehen, und wäre am liebsten gleich nach North-Canada geflogen, Wasser, Berge, Sonnenuntergänge zu bestaunen. Eine großartige Landschaft. Wie klein muss man sich da als Mensch fühlen!
    Alles Gute zum Arbeitsbeginn. Zwei Tage in der Woche? Mei, das ist doch ein Kinderspiel!!!
    Küsschen an alle, auch an Michael
    Omi

5. Captain Momma August 18, 2010 at 11:09 am #

You have amazing family trips! Anyone would be jealous (especially me!!!)! I hope you have a fantastic visit with family and blessings on your return to work!

Thanks for the update!

Kelli

6. Barbara August 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm #

You made up for the neglect – you always do!

I imagine the Yukon to be a very worthy place to visit! So is Texas – come on down!

If I may make a request – want read about Halia’s daycare – please.

7. Nita August 20, 2010 at 8:21 am #

You have had a very busy summer!

8. Mike August 21, 2010 at 9:08 am #

Thanks so much for showing us parts of all we could have done. I agree, it seems that there is still much more to discover. Sunset on the mountain, Sailing on Lake Laberge, Tahkini Hot Springs, Theatre and Music Jam was a pretty good first impression of the north. And the most important: be together with you and Michael an the two kids and see how and where you are living.

1. Fawnahareo’s Place - December 31, 2010