Halia-ish

23 Aug

Halia’s language skills really started taking off just before Gran and Buddy arrived.  It’s so fun to hear her picking up new words everyday, and regularly using two- or three-word sentences.  Sometimes her baby talk is so sweet, I half wish she won’t learn the right way to say them for a while yet.

In order to preserve some of the sweetness, here is a sample of her favourite baby expressions.  See if you can guess what they mean.

• Dun dun!
  • Bla-blo (hint: it’s a fruit)
  • Ba-ba-ee (also a fruit)
  • Deddy (another fruit — Halia loves fruit!)
  • Up-a-ba (heh, you’ll never get that one!)
  • Mao
  • Mimi
  • Moke
  • Udda
  • Bush (with a short “u”, as in “bun”)
  • Boons!
  • Foke
  • Bah-bo

I can’t quite recall how she says piano, but I do know it’s adorable.

Oh, there’s so much to say about my little whirlwind (who broke a temple off my glasses yet again, by the way!).  Like how she loves both broccoli AND cauliflower. Like how she’s constantly been roaring these past few days, pretending to be a scary tiger (which makes Jade run away).  How she uses the potty (almost every time) when we let her run naked, yet wets her pants in minutes if she isn’t diapered.  How she plays with Jade, taking turns, or sometimes not, and how they’ll say sorry and kiss to make up.  How she wacks her head and shouts “Hat!” whenever we go out and I don’t give her all her required items fast enough.  How independent she is.  How she sings five or six different tunes, no words, of course, but perfectly in key.

That little monkey makes life so much more challenging… and so much brighter at the same time.

12 Responses to “Halia-ish”

1. Opa August 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm #

Udda = The place whence came the milk
    Bush = 43rd US President
    Boons! = Garden
    Foke = Fork
    Bah-bo = Bubble

2. Idania August 24, 2010 at 12:46 am #

Good grief! I’m having a heck of a time figuring out what Susan is telling me half the time! Of course, she usually wants ‘up’ or something to eat…lol… I’ll have to play your game tonight when I have more time on my hands.

3. Megan August 24, 2010 at 4:57 am #

Hehehehehe…I remember the day we figured out that the raspberry “ppppppp” sound was Michael’s word for “watermelon”. Not something that comes up that often in Inuvik, but useful to know.

• fawnahareo August 25, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

That awesome! As you can see from my next post, watermelon gets massacred here, too.

4. Marian August 24, 2010 at 6:50 am #

Awww. That makes me miss her (and the rest of you) more. I won’t reply to “what does this mean” because I heard the words recently, and I won’t deny that Halia loves her fruit🙂
    Hugs.

5. Tine August 24, 2010 at 10:27 am #

As English is a foreign language to me, it ‘s even harder to guess … I really can’t think of a possible meaning for most words, but let me try just a few:

“Bla-blo” = Apple ?!

“Up-a-ba” = “Opapa” ?!

“Moke” = “Milk” ?!

“Bush” = “Push” ?!

Can’t wait to meet Halia in person one day …

Lots of love !!

♥ ♥ ♥

• fawnahareo August 25, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

Bla-blo totally sounds like apple! These are great guesses.🙂 It’s easier to tell in person because she’s often pointing or signing to help you understand.

6. Nita August 24, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Michael said “hoppler-doppler” and “hickney”. You’ll never guess those, either! (helicopter & airplane).

• fawnahareo August 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm #

Hoppler-doppler is the BEST EVER!

7. Opa August 24, 2010 at 11:10 am #

Will the solution be posted upside down in small print on the last page? Any prize for the most hits? Or at least a rating, such as “You put Goethe to shame with your keen perception of linguistic nuances” or “Any infant baboon beats your language skills by six trillion light years”?

8. Bubblybunny August 24, 2010 at 8:31 pm #

Very cute post. I have been trying to document little Hiccup’s baby talk as well on his blog. He’s learning so fast, picking up new words so fast; I can’t keep up anymore. I tried using our video camera to record the baby talks but he gets so interested in the camera that he forgets to talk!! 🙂

9. Captain Momma August 25, 2010 at 10:24 pm #

Sounds so cute! And I have NO idea at an of them!!! Grace is babbling ALL THE TIME but yet to really make words!

How’s the job??