Favourite quotes

13 Jan

Thursdays totally kick my ass.  I’m at work all day (with all the keto prep done ahead of time) and Michael has to leave for band rehearsal at 6:30 which means supper has to be ready early.  And also that I put the kids to bed by myself.

Wah, wah, wah, cry me a river.  I’m not looking for sympathy here. I’m just sayin’: Thursdays are looong days.

And therefore, I don’t have enough brain power to segue gracefully into this next part, which is a small collection of quotes that I decided to pull together simply because I likes ’em.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.  ~ Bill Cosby

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~ Aldous Huxley

You must do the thing you think you cannot do. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

When choosing between two evils, I always like to pick the one I never tried before. ~ Mae West

I can live for two months on a good compliment. ~ Mark Twain

I’ve gotta say, that Mark Twain impresses me.  I go through compliments much faster than that!

Do YOU have any favourite quotes?

17 Responses to “Favourite quotes”

1. kara January 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

Ohh I like that one by Mark Twain as well!

2. Opa January 14, 2011 at 12:17 am #

Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    Helen Keller

3. Opa January 14, 2011 at 12:29 am #

“The secret of happiness is the determination to be happy always, rather than wait for outer circumstances to make one happy.” J. Donald Walters

The same thing was said by in different variations by virtually every great thinker in history – from Leo Tolstoi to Dale Carnegie, and most likely by Sokrates and Salomon also.

4. Tine January 14, 2011 at 1:16 am #

I like Marc Twain a lot, too – & many, many others:

“Das Herz ist ein Kind: Es hofft so, wie es wuenscht.” (Turkish Proverb)

“Auf nichts war Verlass. Nur auf Wunder.” (Mascha Kaleko)

“Wege entstehen dadurch, dass man sie geht.” (Franz Kafka)

“A man who has no imagination, has no wings.” (Muhammad Ali)

“You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.” (Robin Williams)

“Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

“It is well to give when asked, but it is better to give unasked, through understanding.” (Kahlil Gibran)

“It’s not about finding someone you can live with, it’s about finding someone you can’t live without.” (Brian McKnight)

“It’s funny how someone can break your heart and you still love him with all the little pieces.” (Unknown)

“Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.” (Eliza Tabor)

“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” (Friedrich Nietzsche)

“Deine Kinder sind nicht Deine Kinder. Sie sind die Soehne und Toechter der Sehnsucht des Lebens nach sich selbst. Sie kommen durch Dich, aber nicht von Dir, und obwohl sie bei Dir sind, gehoeren sie Dir nicht. Du kannst ihnen Deine Liebe geben, aber nicht Deine Gedanken; denn sie haben ihre eigenen Gedanken. Du kannst ihrem Koerper ein Haus geben, aber nicht ihrer Seele; denn ihre Seele wohnt im Haus von morgen, das Du nicht besuchen kannst – nicht einmal in Deinen Träumen. Du kannst versuchen, ihnen gleich zu sein, aber suche nicht, sie Dir gleich zu machen; denn das Leben geht nicht rueckwaerts und verweilt nicht beim Gestern.” (Kahlil Gibran)

“Never laugh at anyone’s dream. People who don’t have dreams don’t have much.” (Unknown)

“One can never change the past, only the hold it has on you, and while nothing in your life is reversible, you can reverse it nevertheless.” (Merle Shain)

“Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.” (Unknown)

“Alles, was man ueber das Leben lernen kann, ist in drei Worte zu fassen: Es geht weiter.” (Unknown)

“Pure Vernunft darf niemals siegen.” (Tocotronic)

“Finish each day and be done with it … You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

… there you go🙂 !!

Lots of love from Germany !!

♥ ♥ ♥

5. Meandering Michael January 14, 2011 at 1:51 am #

“Would you like fries with that?” ~ Traditional fast-food chant

I love this quote because it reminds me that we can aspire for more than what we’ve asked for – but that the consequences of getting more than we need can be dire indeed.

6. kathleen January 14, 2011 at 6:24 am #

“If smiling is contagious, being an asshole is like the bubonic plauge” – me, just now after driving in city morning traffic

7. Clare January 14, 2011 at 7:16 am #

I have many, many “favourite” quotes. I own several books on quotations. Here is sampling. The first is probably the quote I like the most.

“I like the look of frogs, and their outlook, and especially the way they get together in wet places on warm nights and sing about sex.” – Archie Carr, The Windward Road.

“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.” – Douglas Adams

“The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality.” -John Quincy Adams

“To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.” – Gustave Flaubert

“Meanwhile, I just go ‘Thank God I’m awake’, and wait for three or four hours before I do anything.” – Keith Richards on waking up in the mornings.

• Malva January 14, 2011 at 11:46 am #

“We’re all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ” – Oscar Wilde

Oddly enough, I found out last week that I work with your sister in law Chris. Who would have thought?

So anyway, I had to come here to check out your blog and what you’ve been up to since I last read you.

In spite of butt-kicking Thursdays, I’m glad you don’t seem to have lost your positiveness one bit!

8. Malva January 14, 2011 at 11:48 am #

I hit the worg Reply button. My comment was meant for Fawn, not Clare.🙂

9. Mike January 15, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Thanks, I always searched the word for “Zitat”
    So, one of my favorite quotes is “Ein Tag, an dem Du nicht einmal gelächelt hast, ist ein verlorener Tag.

10. Catherine Forest January 15, 2011 at 10:35 am #

I love this! Love your quote too, Michael!

Here’s one I like :

“To a mind that is still,
    the whole universe surrenders.”

Chuang Tzu

11. Carole January 15, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Eleanor Roosevelt’s quotes have always inspired me, and one of my favourites is,

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

Thanks for sharing the one by Aldous Huxley.

12. Nemmy January 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

“Clothes make the man; naked people have little to no influence on society” ~ Mark Twain

“I am not content with beautiful dreams; I want beautiful realities” ~ GB Shaw

“You look at things that are and ask why. I look at things that never were and ask why not.” ~ GB Shaw

I have to say though… the first one is there because it always makes me giggle.😀

13. Laura January 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

I love quotes too!
    Some of my favourites –
    Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows … Helen Keller
    We make a living by what we get: we make a life by what we give … Sir Winston Churchill
    The hard way is the right way … John Alves (I tell my kids this one all the time)
    A little stress and adventure is good for you, if nothing else, just to prove you are alive … Lady Bird Johnson
    And I like many quotes from Maya Angelou, Mark Twain and Henry Ford.
    I have actually been thinking about doing a quote a day for a year. What do you think?

14. Laural Out Loud January 16, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

I must give Eleanor Roosevelt a bit of credit in the person I’ve become- her words are inspiring. LOVE her. As for other quotes, forget me writing any down here, as my brain got rid of all non-essential information when pregnancy and old age started eating away at my brain cells. I’d have to look them up, and I’m too busy watching Wedding Wednesday on the WE channel (and reading your blog, of course, lol).

15. David January 17, 2011 at 6:27 am #

On Christianity :
    “I have Faith in Faith” – Disa Kauk

On Parenting :
    “Be with your kids.
    Nobody ever died saying they wished they had spent more time at the office.”

16. Scientific Chick January 17, 2011 at 10:43 am #

My taste in quote varies with time, but right now I’m really into “Keep calm and carry on”.

I’m thinking of buying a poster to remind me to do this. It’s what I need the most at the moment.🙂