I thought I’d have to wait a few more years to hear this

6 Mar

Jade patted me on the arm as she was finishing supper tonight and said, “You’re a good Mama.”

That must be one of the most beautiful surprises I’ve ever had.  I thanked her and asked her why she had said that.

“You always take such good care of us,” she said, nodding her head and patting my arm again.

I think I may have swooned.

8 Responses to “I thought I’d have to wait a few more years to hear this”

1. Opa March 7, 2011 at 12:29 am #

Wow, that’s so beautiful. For one because it is true. For another because Jade senses it and verbalizes it. And also because it marks a major milestone in the development of a child, moving from “survival mode” (pure self-centeredness) to social animal, who is sensitive to the needs and sensitivities of others. And it is also a major jump in logic, or at least intuition, to make the connection between oneself feeling good when being edified to others feeling good when one edifies them.

2. YukonJen March 7, 2011 at 12:32 am #

I just swooned.

3. Idania March 7, 2011 at 2:51 am #

Aw! That’s when I would have wished that I had a tape recorder…

Savour it…

4. Scientific Chick March 7, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Aww, so sweet. You ARE a good Mama!

5. Nemmy March 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

😀 Makes it all worthwhile, I bet. I was watching a documentary with the guy who is played by Will Smith in “The Pursuit of Happynesss” and a similar thing happened to him once. Said he was down and didn’t know how he would keep going (I think that’s when he was living in homeless shelters and subway bathrooms) and his young son, completely out of the blue, said he was a great papa. Gave him the strength to keep going.

Kids are such a joy.🙂

6. kara March 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

Awwww! That is so beautiful Fawn.

7. Marian March 7, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

Very sweet….and well deserved!

8. Stacie March 7, 2011 at 9:51 pm #