Moving right along

27 Sep

I went to The Medicine Chest yesterday morning to have a prescription for Famiciclovir filled.  It took a few minutes, as these things do, and when it was ready, the pharmacist called me over.  I love our pharmacy.  The pharmacists really go above and beyond.  But it is rather difficult to have a private conversation at their counter.

“Okay,” she said.  “This is an anti-viral drug.  It’s used to treat viral infections like cold sores.”

“Or shingles,” I said, since that is what I need treatment for.

“Right,” she said quickly, as if she wanted to pass right to the next point of discussion.  “That too.”

It was only after I got home and started reading the medical information insert that I realized the other disease the drug is most often used to treat, besides shingles, is genital herpes.

Well, hunh.  I can see why the pharmacist didn’t want to bring that up.

Let me also add that, although I can’t tell you from personal experience, I bet genital herpes is no walk in the park.  But I can tell you, unequivocally, that shingles totally suck.

10 Responses to “Moving right along”

1. Opa September 27, 2011 at 9:34 am #

Now that I think of it – Oma mentioned sometimes about someone in the family being bothered by this. I think it is Mike (your aunt), so there are probably some fellow-sufferers to exchange information with. Oma is in Kolobrzeg, Poland, by the way, in a spa. Gute Besserung.

2. allmycke September 27, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Shingles is no fun at all. I’m from a family with many sufferers…

3. jen September 27, 2011 at 11:45 am #

Oh no! That’s one good thing about living in the big big cities, some serious anonymity lol! Hope your feeling better soon!

4. Norris September 28, 2011 at 2:06 am #

Shingles?!?! Hope you feel better soon. My friend that had it a few years ago told me it feels like hell.😦

5. Gen September 28, 2011 at 5:09 am #

I had it also; it appeared after a really stressful time in my life (left the Yukon for Ottawa!). It’s the chickenpox virus (varicella), isn’t it? Hope it goes away quickly. Hang in!

6. susan hamilton September 28, 2011 at 9:23 am #

So sorry to hear that Fawn. Get better soon!

7. Tine September 28, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Gute Besserung from Germany – hope you take good care of yourself, & you’ll feel better soon !!

(Good to hear from you, anyways🙂 – although I wish it was better news😦 !!)

♥ ♥ ♥

8. Nemmy September 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Feel better soon, lady. PS. You know you’ve spent too much time on Facebook when you find yourself wishing peoples’ comments had “like” buttons on them. *sigh*

9. Marianne Fritzen October 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Hallo, Fawny, my God, was Du nicht noch alles weißt! A propos: diese Unannehmlichkeiten sind NUR lästig, aber nicht lebensbedrohend, falls Du solche Symptome hattest. Mein Rezept, und das wirkt schneller als Medizin: drei- viermal Kamillentropfen in warmes Wasser und ein 5-minütiges Sitzbad. Ist angenehm, tut nicht weh, relaxed. Es gibt halt gewisse Körperstellen die gern Feuchtigkeit absondern!! Alles menschlich! Aber vielleicht brauchtest Du die Medizin für etwas ganz anderes!!! Zurück aus Kolberg/Polen; halb erholt, weil keine Lust auf Arbeit. Der bin ich aber schon wieder total verfallen. Schau ab und zu in “Wendland-net”, das Neueste aus dem Wendland. Heute mit einem Redebeitragsausschnitt. (Video) Ich hoffe, es geht Euch allen blendend. Küs(s)schen Omi

1. That year-in-review thing « Fawnahareo’s Place - December 31, 2011

[…] September: I went to The Medicine Chest yesterday morning to have a prescription for Famiciclovir filled. […]