Sweeter than sugar

8 Dec

It’s midnight.  I am putting away the ingredients I was using to pack Jade’s lunch for school tomorrow.  Michael appears at the top of the stairs.

“Halia’s awake,” he says. “She wants you to come give her a kiss.”

“Okay,” I say, and quickly gather a few more things to stash in the fridge, just in case I am detained in Halia’s room.

When I arrive, I peer into her dim room.  She is lying still, breathing softly, blankets tucked up around her shoulders, eyes closed.  She’s already fallen asleep again,  I think, but I’ll kiss her, since a kiss is what she wanted.  I bend over her bed, kiss the peach-fuzz cheek, nose tickled by silky strands of wayward hair.

Her eyes flutter, just barely, and a tiny voice, heavy with sleep, escapes her lips.

“Thank you, Mama.”

And here is another pearl of motherhood, a moment I would love to capture, to save up in a bottle.  I’d have it in my coffee every morning, and savour that feeling all day.

8 Responses to “Sweeter than sugar”

1. kara December 8, 2011 at 8:06 am #

So sweet.

2. Tami Stillshrinking Tushie Kelland December 8, 2011 at 8:17 am #

that’s what makes it all worthwhile!

3. Norris December 8, 2011 at 8:48 am #

I feel warm and fuzzy now.🙂

4. Meandering Michael December 8, 2011 at 10:18 am #

Awwww! That’s so sweet! She didn’t want to have anything to do with me and essentially told me to @#$% off.

5. Marian December 9, 2011 at 5:51 am #

And those are the moments that keep us going when they’re having screaming hissy fits🙂 So, so sweet.

6. Tine December 10, 2011 at 12:49 am #

Due to my boyfriend, I, too, always say “Thank you !!” when he kisses me while I sleep🙂 …

7. MommyTime December 10, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Those are the perfect moments we parent for, aren’t they?

1. That year-in-review thing « Fawnahareo’s Place - December 31, 2011